• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ship Broadside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
As the tittle says, I would like to make a few ships attack side-ways. Nothing fancy like multiple projectiles with collision detection, just their normal attack only the ship turns sideways when it attacks.

Would changing the model itself be a solution?

I would like if possible for the unit to be able to attack right and left without turning around (to be more specific, the projectile should be able to be fired from both the left and right side of the ship, not simultaneously though).

Level 12
I think it will look really weird no matter what you do with the model. I think you would need to make some kind of system for this - restricting turning (maybe even movement), controlling how the attacks work, etc.

I don't know how the map is supposed to work, but using projectiles and a button to manually fire the cannons would be neat.

The problem with not making a system is you can make the unit turn around too quickly (telling it to move back and forth which a real boat cannot do nicely), and you can move straight at enemies and then turn and fire.

Level 14
You could also try using dummy cannons, so you do not need a complex movement system for the ship.

I would say, if u use that button, which was suggested by SAUS, you simply create dummy units "inside" the ship, or very little dummies so that players do not see them (beware of scaled projectiles in Object editor though ;)). Then you just make them face 90° to the side based on the ships facing angle (left and right) and then you just make them attack ground whatever distance you like. Add Timed Life or remove dummies after that. Like this you got your ship firing to the side.

Level 11
The focus of the map would not be on ship to ship combat, I just want to make some addition to the bare-bones WC3 naval systems and I thought it would look cool to have ships turn sideways when they attack.

I don't want a different missile system or a button to fire, just that the ships turn the same way they do in WC2 - instantly, but sideways. The position of the ship would not be important, its not a mechanical implementation, purely an aesthetic one.

I don't mind if they turn instantly as soon as they can attack.

Level 14
I don't mind if they turn instantly as soon as they can attack.

there is a lot of great ship models from xgm.(gu)ru which instantly turn and use spell animations to fire. I dont know if I am allowed to share these models here, so thats why I did not upload them ... Maybe you could search for yourself on http://xgm.guru/tag/models/ ?

I once wanted to start a ship map as well, where I gathered a lot of ship models as well, that might suit you. I dont know, who the makers of these ships are unfortunately, so Sry to all of these makers, but it has been a long time :((

there you go: ship template map

there is a lot of great ship models from xgm.(gu)ru which instantly turn and use spell animations to fire. I dont know if I am allowed to share these models here, so thats why I did not upload them ... Maybe you could search for yourself on http://xgm.guru/tag/models/ ?

There is a pack of higher quality ship models (still using ingame textures) that have broadside animation

Level 11
Those ships are exactly what I need! The only issue is that their Broadside animation is called Spell 1 and Spell 2.

I suppose this is a different question from the original one, but how can one change animation names in Magos?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Use a custom model. Have an attack ready animation that keeps it in broadside position. Attack animation is nothing more than cannon particles from side with noise in broadside position. Use animation blend time to get the ship to rotate into a broadside. As long as the ship keeps trying to attack a target it should keep in broadside orientation and track the target in broadside. This should visually look like how Age of Empires 3+ and Empire Earth/Empires Dawn of the Modern World did it.

Or so I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.