• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

ShimmeringPortal

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Rao Dao Zao Helped me with some geoset stuff.
This is a stargate model, that goes along with this model:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=48033&prev=search%3Dstargate%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20
I made it for my map, its a doodad.

Update:
-Added particles, now its not plane at all.

Update2:
-Uses ingame textures

Keywords:
stagate, star, gate, plasma, portal, SG, 1, -, SG-1, Atlantis, space, hyper, teleport, teleporter, worm, hole, wormhole, black, blackhole
Contents

ShimmeringPortal (Model)

Reviews
18:26, 23rd Jan 2009 Pyritie: No. I suggest you learn about particle emitters before trying again.

M

18:26, 23rd Jan 2009
Pyritie: No. I suggest you learn about particle emitters before trying again.

Level 6
I've got an idea:nw:, why don't you use the A_Water(00-44).blp textures for the watery effect, add a blue ambient light source, and add a yellow-white local light source in the middle to get a similar effect to what you've already got here. That way you can get an animated texture with your original design mostly intact. I would advise against particle emitters, because there aren't any in the original Stargate® effect (Yes I am a huge Gate-Geek). Of course, if you're feeling artistic, go for it. If you do add any though, I think a very light, white smoke would be the best option for keeping it tasteful. This effect does exist on the Earth gate (really huge Gate-Geek)

For now: 2/5
With suggested revisions: 4/5
I will hold off on rating this for a while

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
Wow. I feel stupid. I didn't really look at the animations in detail (sorry); however I do have some more detailed suggestions for the particles now. Feel free to ignore. The death animation particles are cool; keep 'em. For the birth animation, it would be cool if you were to stagger the emitter visibility times so that it looked like the particles were rippling out, and then back in. You could make the one closest to the gate start earlier and end later than the next one out. Then you could make that one start earlier and end later than the next one out. The birth animation would have to be a little bit longer for this. I know this would be a lot of work for a little payoff, but I think it would be worth it. The outermost emitter should also be a little bit bigger than the others. I like it around the size of the first emitter, maybe a little bit smaller. The particles should also have a shorter lifespan and lesser speed so that it looks like a controlled burst rather than a big splash. Playing around, I found that a lifespan of 1 and a speed of 120 worked pretty well. Finally, I think that the stand particle emitter is sort of ridiculous.

Please do whatever you feel like (check out my title); it's way better than anything I ever could have done.

After seeing the animations: 3/5
With suggested revisions: 5/5

Last edited by a moderator: