• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Shadow Strike-type custom spell bugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I made a custom spell based off of shadow strike but no matter what any value is it does the damage [about] every .01 seconds, killing the unit very quickly. What is going on here? Thanks.

Level 4
ahh daelin! how intelligent you are to simply assume he's made the most obvious error! because the world is full of dumbasses!

and yet, i've got this same problem and "decay power" was set to the default value. so i tinkered around with it some, both increasing and decreasing it substantially, and the spell still seems to basically insta-kill whatever its cast on. (0 initial damage, 50 decay damage)

no idea what's causing it and still searching for a solution. i'll try and get back here if i ever figure it out!

Level 4
the interval, or "decay power" has been set to both 0.10 and 100, neither of which makes any difference.

i set the initial damage to 10 once just to see if an initial damage of 0.00, like a stun time of 0.00, would be equal to infinite damage or something, resulting in the instant kill.

the ability does have a custom buff at the moment, but why would that affect anything? the buff is simply a little box that is on the unit and provides information. why would it matter?

it seems kinda obvious you probably know what the deal is eusira, what's the point of speaking in cryptic language that almost explains the problem but really only hints at it and says nothing definite.

Level 4
just checked, its not the buff!

edit: default interval PLUS default buff don't werk neither!

2nd edit: and this isn't a problem between the hero version having an unseen limit where the regular unit (neutral hostile) version doesn't, like flamestrike!

both versions of an edited shadow strike still instant kill their target! i know this damn spell can be edited, there's a bunch of shadow strike variants in DotA.

Level 4
the problem seems to be that the field "casting time" is really the decay power so a cast time of 2.0 seconds will give the decay dmg every 2 seconds.

at the moment, i have no idea what the field "decay power" actually does for shadow strike. maybe nothing.

Level 16
Well damage is like the only exception to "infinite." But buffs can seriously screw around with a lot of things. If you remove the buffs for certain abilities they can get messed up, especially in poison. Mess with one freaking buff and your unit cannot do any damage

Level 11
If you set the duration to 0.01 or something in some cases doesn't work (dunno why). As I mentioned before, why do you mess up with Shadow Strike when you could use a Drunken Haze with 0.00 AoE. It has buff, it has a projectile it has all. Well... if you want the damage you can trigger it. And I'm not trying to avoid the problem but if I can't see the spell I can't really fix it.

And cata, I don't know how many people did this mistake so don't be ironic to me please. I'm trying to help, that's all.

Level 10
the reason for some non buffs is because of short buff intervals, like for immolation. The thing with that is since the buff last for such a short interval, it doesn't show up at all. Increase the duration of the spell see if it changes. I know that if interval for immloation is low enough, you don't see it, but if it is (i think) 0.5 seconds or higher, then it will appear. Dunno about your shadowstrike though...

Status
Not open for further replies.