• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Shadow Strike based spells (debuff problem!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
The ability Shadow Strike has very interesting and unique features.
It's possible to deal dmg and slow and dot a enemy unit.
And the best thing is that it has floating dmg text.

So i would like to use this spell to create other spells. The main problem here is, that the
debuffs are always overwriting themselves.

Is there any possibilty to solve this problem? This spell is so fantastic!

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
Is there any possibilty to solve this problem?
No, unfortunately buffs from abilities based on the same ability will overwrite themselves (except for auras). You can trigger what shadow strike does, but it's more work obviously.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
oh dude
that makes me sad
It's a really annyoing limitation. Especially if you need the buff to follow the same behaviour as most normal abilities (dispel, spell steal).

Shadowstrike is actually a bit easier to trigger than most other abilities, because it cannot be dispelled. You can just use a hidden tornado slow aura ability to display the buff and do the effect with triggers. You won't have to take things like dispel/spell steal into consideration for it.

Level 7
I think is easier to use a Buff System

If you want several customs shadow strike, you will run out of Slow abilities too fast. This is exactly why you decide to use a Buff System

Not only makes it easier to trigger, but it also makes the code more readable as a whole

Status
Not open for further replies.