• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Set Item Name/Item Icon no longer working on latest patch

Level 8
I second that. That shitty bug broke a large portion of my mod's framework (inspection ability, like in Fallout 1/2, when you clicked on an item/object).
This whole "Reforged" premature release and its bugs add to the flavor: now, whenever you find a bug, you can't be sure, whether it's your mistake or just another broken native...

Level 8
Have you checked to see if it is still broken with 1.32.6 ?
Yes, I checked it a couple of hours ago with a simple trigger to rename an item and then show its name. It's still broken.
Here's my report: Broken natives

For now, I'm avoiding all situations that would require renaming an item (or reading item's name for that matter). For example, in my fallout mod, unique items have unique names (sometimes randomly generated, WIP), so for the inventory pick up/drop/backpack transfer systems etc, I'm using arrays with custom item types/names. So, a dialog button reads item's stored array (or HashT) name instead of the actual item name.
I hope that helps someone.

TL;DR: avoid all item (re-)name(-ing)-related interactions. Use a work-around.

Edit: I think this work-around approach philosophy (thus, avoing as many newer natives as possible) is a healthy way to ensure the map's longevity. I wasn't thrilled being forced to spend an entire day reworking an entire item-naming framework. Who knows, what would be broken next. At least, with simple hashtables, arrays, etc, one can be almost 100% sure to see the map working as intended. That was my initial case upon the release of Reforged. I anticipated possible incompatibilities and deliberately chose to stick to the most basic algorithms. I only had to fix some minor problems (like bypassing fixed random seed issue), since most of the map was using simple GUI interactions. The map was poorly optimized, had gargantuan algorithms, but, in the end, worked like a charm transitioning from Classic to Reforged.

Last edited:
Level 12
Well I have to admit that when there is a reasonable workaround, it should be chosen.

On the other hand, sometimes we have no satisfying alternative, and one of the best examples was some problems with UI Frames that are now solved with the 2 new natives introduced with 1.32.6

Sadly there are still quite a few natives that simply refuse to work.

In the long run, I suppose that if fixes are implemented and prove to be stable, quite a few things might become worth rewriting, but definitely not as soon as a change is introduced.

In the hope they will stay, I have already used the 2 new natives extensively in my map, but I have kept a safe copy of my workarounds in case something similar to your experience would occur.