• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sentry Wards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
hello

i ll be brief

we all know the sentry wards used by the Orc troll itch doctor units .... they are temporary units, with a limited life duration

i have a custom unit....how can i make it have a limited life duration (same as sentry ward) and see that timer blue bar, same as sentry ward ?

and...is it possible to set the decaying timer ?

Level 4
tried :

Event: map initialization

Condition: unit type of triggering unit equal to barrel ( my custom unit )

Action: Add a 60 sec generic expiration timer to triggering unit

it does NOT work !
any other ideas ?

Map Initialization can't have Conditions (*runs to a corner crying*)..

You need to do this:
  • Initialization
  • Events
    • Map Initialzation
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units of type Barrel) and do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • Unit - Add a 60.00 seconds generic expiration timer to (Picked unit)

Level 4
map

here is the map ....trigger still didnt worked :((

i uploaded the map
with it, there is a model file ( the hero using the ability is a custom hero from the tavern....the goblin clockwerk)

i m investigating why it doesnt work :(

the model for the barrel is in custom units, and its called T.N.T. barrel
it uses the standard explosives barrel model

actually, both hero and all of his abilities work quite well....just that i wanted to ad an expiration timer to the TNT barrel :D

also...if you are here....the custom hero, Clockwerk Goblin also utilizes Lay Goblin Land Mines ability (the one used in DOTA)

BUT.....when i place a goblin land mine, and an enemy walks over it....there is a huge delay between the moment when the enemy steps over thr goblin land mine and the time when the mine detonates :((
i was told that this delay is innate and only a special trigger can remove it......

Attachments

• (10)RagingStream - Night Elf Rule.w3x
    917.9 KB · Views: 42
  • goblin7_portrait.mdl
    69.8 KB · Views: 63
Ahm... Are you kidding me?
a) you add the expiration timer to the unit, once it is created, not in the Map Initialization.
b) Why did you base the spell off Shockwave? You should instead use Healing Ward ability.
c) Why do you have so many triggers that all of them have the same event: Map Initialization? Just add all the actions of these triggers into one trigger, so that they are merged.

Fixed the "expiration timer" issue: View attachment (10)RagingStream - Night Elf Rule.w3x
You just had to put the "Unit - Add a 60.00 seconds generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)" line, right after the unit's creation.

Level 4
actually....i thought of last created unit BUT ....what if some player made a unit, the next half-second after i made that one ?!

wouldnt the trigger had applied to him instead, rather than me ?

lemme exemplify .... say my tnt barrel is X .... another player places a unit named Y like 0.05 secs after i place mine ( or perhaps at same time!) ... from the time p.o.v. speaking, the pc may not make the proper difference when the last unit was made, either mine or someone else's and it could have ended up triggering for the other guy rather than me :))

thats why i didnt used Last created unit :)

thanks alot!

P.S. were you able to get around the goblin land mine delay ?
EDIT: i see that the trigger for barrel is empty ?! :)) where did you put the trigger ?
Unit - Add a 60.00 seconds generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)

what if some player made a unit, the next half-second after i made that one ?!
It will still work. Everytime the spell is cast, it fires the same trigger but for the specific casting unit, so the last created unit for the 1st spell cast will be different from the second spell cast.

i see that the trigger for barrel is empty ?! :)) where did you put the trigger ?
It had the old *idiot* trigger, that's why I deleted it. Even if you place it back, it will do nothing.

Level 4
lemme rephrase....:)

how did you EXACTLY achieved the effect then, if not by trigger ?!

i looked at the object editor...and all attributes are the same :))

Level 4
and my question about the goblin mine delay still stands :p ( you are the 5th person i asked :p....the other 4, didnt knew how to solve it....i even tried writting to Icefrog, the maker of DOTA, but i didnt found a email address )

a) I used triggers, like I said. Go to the "Remote Mine Copy" and check the line after the Unit - Create 1 Remote... bla bla. If still this isn't what you're asking, I can't understand.

b) Well, for the delay, I think it's because you use Shockwave as the base spell. It tends to be a bit slow. To partially fix that, go to the ability "Remote-controlled TNT Barrel" and scroll to Text - Order String - Use/Turn on and change "Shockwave" to "Stampade" for example. Do this, if you are bored of replacing the shockwave ability. Else, get a new ability of point-type, e.g. Channel, with Target type set to "Point target".

c) [email protected]. I don't think he would ever respond to something like that.

Level 4
1) so sorry about missing it :( i m blinder than a bat :p

2) i was NOT referring to the barrel :) but to the Goblin Land Mine custom object....will investigate it now

gz and many thanks
3) no, i wont bother him :))

Status
Not open for further replies.