• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

semi-off topic comment (gates)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
ive spent a few days trying to make gates that you can actually open, but not a doodad! a unit! and a buildable one to! you may say its easy... i did to... its not. for one you cant use many of the skills to open it (eg. bear form). and using variables its hard to make more than 1 gates work. my way when you open the gate it opens and you can walk through. cast the 'close' ability and it replaces the gate with a fresh closed one. it also stops casting the ability or else the game would crash... anyways just letting ppl know im getting better at this map editing thing...

Level 8
o yea if u want all the gate info so you can do it to just PM me and ill send u the instructions (its very difficult to get gates to work error-proff and you CANNOT have a vertical gate (unless somehow u get a vertical pathing map))

Level 7
RaD- said:
i dare you to do the same... without ANY bugs

i've done it about a year ago (and yes u can have vertical doors, and angled doors)... actually i used units to create walls that would automatically align themselves and with doors and such, anyways thats beyond the point

i'll run down the basics (won't go into extreme details with specific how-to's)

create a door unit (duh), give it no pathing map so units can walk right through it

trigger it so when a door is built or created it sets its custom value to say X

now along its parallel axis create several pathing blockers to simulate the door having collision, here u have the option of using handle-handle variables or arrays to keep track of the pathing blockers

if u decide to use arrays u could say make 5 variables blocker1,2,3,4,5 and assign the pathing blockers to blocker1[X], blocker2[X] -- anyways, choose some method to connect the door to its blockers

give the door an 'open' ability

when a unit casts the open ability, change the doors animation to open, and remove the center blockers using the doors reference (this allows units to pass through when its open)

give the opened door a 'close' ability

when casted check if units are in the way, if they aren't recreate the blockers and close the door animation wise

at least this was how i did it way back when i don't even remember when... there might be a better way but this is a start at least

Status
Not open for further replies.