• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Selecting a Building Causes Crash - Wut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
So, while testing a few things with my map-in-progress, I found a very curious issue. When I select a certain building-type (An Academy) the game crashes instantly, unless the building is currently under construction. The building can exist fine, and the crash occurs when it is selected.

I have no triggers associated with unit selection, nor any associated with the Academy itself. All other buildings are safe to select. The only irregularity with the building is that there are two types of Academies, depending on the player's "Race" (though the only similarity between the two is the name and model).

Is there anything else that might cause this?

Level 3
No dice. Changed the name, tooltip, model, and Icon of the Academy (now the Elite's Lounge), and it still crashed on selection.

Level 3
mabye the model has a virus leaking into your computer do a file scan and quarantine any you find if not just find a look alike model and see if it works

Level 3
The model in question was the High Elf Barracks, so no chance of that.

Anyway, I still don't know why it's crashing, but I have managed to point out the culprit: One of the units it trains, a Gunman (a Rifleman that must render itself immobile to attack). Any building I gave this unit to crashed similarly when selected; however, the Gunman itself works fine, can be selected safely, etc. So the problem presumably lies in the Gunman's interface data somewhere... Somehow.

Hopefully this can be resolved without scrapping or seriously deforming the Gunman, as I kinda like it. Any suggestions?

Level 3
No, no trigger. The Gunman simply uses a modified Bearform ability to switch between "Mobile but unarmed" and "Immobile but firing".

Level 9
My friend had the exact same problem with a Stargate AoS map - selecting the hero building would crash the game.

He solved it by doing this: Export all data to a new map, same dimensions. Copy and paste terrain after reworking the tilesets, then same for doodads. Then import all data into the new map.

It worked for him. Might work for you. Good luck! ;)

Level 7
Make the Lounge\Academy train a dummy unit instead of the gunman. Use a trigger to spawn a gunman at the spot of the dummy unit once it finishes its training (and to remove the dummy unit).

Status
Not open for further replies.