• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Import] Selectable in game, but not in the editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I am guessing the model has no collision geometry.

To make models easier to select, they mostly have a shape around them purely for selection. When you click the unit, it is this shape that it uses to see if the cursor clicked the unit or clicked somewhere else. If a models lacks this shape, it defaults to using the standard unit geometry in-game. The editor obviously does not resulting in the unit being unselect able (drag select works as that ignores the model, using the origin to detect selection).

So why do models even need this collision geometry? With out it you would get the very annoying problem of "missing the target" due to model animations. The Void Walker is the best example as it has very energetic attacks that result in the model moving great distances quickly. If you were to try and target it while attacking there is a high chance you would click behind it without the collision geometry.

Collision geometry brings other problems as well, if it is too small then what you think is the unit will target behind the unit. If it is too large then you will be unable to target anything but the unit.

DotA Allstars got around this problem using special imported models.

Level 17
If it is only the editor that has problems.. just get a workaround. You don't need to actually click anything.

Use selection box and press enter once it is selected to access its data and use numpad to move it around once it is selected. You can use selection box to select them for triggers also.

Level 17
Except the model already has a collision mesh, you can see it in magos. However in the editor, it uses the geometry of the polearm instead.
But it seems to work fine in the game which is why I assume it uses the collision mesh in game but not in the editor for some reason.
Moreover if he didn't have any collision shape it would default to his geometry which is not happening as it defaults only to the geometry of a single geoset which is his weapon and the rest is clicked through.

Level 8
the only way to select it in WE is via selection box, but I can't click on it directly and change rotation, owner, HP, etc.

Oh so it is in the World Editor I thought in-game.

@Shade
If it works in-game, Just try selecting them by drawing a shape like in-game also when you will select multiple units. Just do that when selecting that unit in WE.

That was wut I said.
Create a selection box (the same way you select units in-game) and after you picked your unit the the box click the Enter button

yeah...
for now I will select him via polearm, since I still have no idea how to make WE use collision mesh :p

Level 17
Yeah, it looks like the model has unselectable geosets, save for the polearm.
It looks like the collision mesh is disregarded in editor and it uses only the model's geometry, yet in game it disregards the model geometry and uses only the collision mesh, curious.
Maybe it is like that so you can have more precise selection ? Rather than easy quick selection that would be required in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.