• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Seeking Mentorship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Recently I've tried to make several terrain templates of countries, such as templates of the United Kingdom. They haven't been the best successes in mapping history...

Are there any experienced terrainers that could take some time to teach me the techniques needed for realistic real-world terraining?

If your too busy, may I have a bite-sized list of terraining tips? Or a link to a personally favored tutorial?

Thanks everyone

Hedgehog-king

Level 36
Well some tips are:
  • If you're going to mass trees in a forest, put lots of shrubs and greenery and other environmental doodads in it.
  • Space out your trees a little bit. Put the pathing size to barrel, or "2x2default.tga"
  • Shrubs are good. Use a lot of them.
  • Don't use Blizzard's cliffs. Instead use the raise/lower tool, plateau, rock tile or dirt tile and pathing blockers.
  • Make sure you use plenty of tile variation so it's not boring.
  • Don't make your terrain too flat. Even if it's just using the noise tool and then smoothing (A LOT OF SMOOTHING with noise :p)
  • Smooth your terrain's rough edges and don't spam doodads in one place and then leave another place bare. Make a gradual transition.
  • Fog is tasty. :D

That's all I can say off the top of my head.

Level 34
It's hard to just give general advice. Post some of your work so we can be more specific.

Level 34
Only thing I to improve the minimap image is to import a custom one.

I'll dl the map later on. Could you just post pictures next time?

Level 34
Probably because he didn't have any rep at the time. You need rep to give rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.