• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Scrolling Pavement Model Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm making a side-scroller. For most of the levels, I simply terrain the entire level, however certain levels I intend to last for a while with the player constantly moving in a specific direction. In the duration of such a level, the player would need to be able to traverse a distance greater than the width of the map without turning. I would like to instead simulate movement by having the environment move past the player; the doodads would be locust units moving past the screen and the ground would be an animated model. The only problem is that I haven't the slightest clue how to animate.

I need something that looks like this:

152739-albums4597-picture98192.jpg

It should use the same textures as the screenshot, and be of a sufficient quality to still look good when filling the entire screen. The pavement and grass will flow like a horizontal waterfall across the screen to the left to simulate the camera moving to the right.

A similar model with a moving wooden floor that exceeds the sides of the screen but falls short of the top and bottom would also be appreciated.

Level 15
Are you sure that is a wise solution? Cant you just extend the level by "entering a tower" or something? It just seems like more effort then its worth to me. Well, just my thoughts on the subject. Also how long a distance are we talking about? Can't you just extend the map - and if you cant you want to bore the players to death? takes quite some time to walk across 255x255 :D

Are you sure that is a wise solution? Cant you just extend the level by "entering a tower" or something? It just seems like more effort then its worth to me. Well, just my thoughts on the subject. Also how long a distance are we talking about? Can't you just extend the map - and if you cant you want to bore the players to death? takes quite some time to walk across 255x255 :D

These aren't for walking situations. The players will be having fights aboard moving vehicles in these particular parts of the map. Traveling at 20-30 MPH in the same direction for 5-10 minutes will cross a lot of distance, and I'm not trying to dedicate the entire map to only these levels; there are many levels. The ones in the air & on water are pretty straightforward, and the ones on foot traverse a distance short enough to fit within the map.

You can do this with just a couple of clicks on your own:

-> Just import the invisible platform model into Magos
-> Add a material
-> Select a texture from the WC3 mpqs or import one
-> Map it to the material
-> Apply the material to the geoset

I'm not asking for a standing platform. I'm asking for an animated model that will continuously flow from one end to the other like a waterfall or a conveyor belt. That requires animating, which is something I cannot do.

What about making it into a unit/destructable and changing position, like in a sliding system? It would probably look clunky but perhaps it'll do?

Like you said, that would look clunky. And it also wouldn't work because the players are going to be fighting aboard moving walkable destructibles. My original plan was to use walking locust units that look like the pavement and grass, but they would walk over the vehicles and look silly. That, and they didn't go in straight lines, no matter how straight ahead their destination was. Warcraft units hate straight lines.

This isn't very complex of a model to make; it just requires someone with experience animating.

Status
Not open for further replies.