• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sc2 Collector's Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Make some room in your collection, as Blizzard Entertainment has revealed StarCraft II Collector's Edition, and you're going to want it.

Retailing for $99.99, the collector's edition comes packed with goodies, including:

-The Art of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, a 176-page book featuring artwork from the game
-An exclusive 2GB USB flash drive replica of Jim Raynor's dog tag, which comes preloaded with the original StarCraft and the StarCraft: Brood War expansion set
-A behind-the-scenes DVD containing over an hour of developer interviews, cinematics with director's commentary, and more
-The official StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty soundtrack CD, containing 14 epic tracks from the game along with exclusive bonus tracks
-StarCraft comic book issue #0, a prequel to the comic series
-A World of Warcraft mini Thor in-game pet that can be applied to all World of Warcraft characters on a single Battle.net account
-Exclusive Battle.net downloadable content, including special portraits for your Battle.net profile, decals to customize your units in-game, and a visually unique version of the terran Thor unit

If you're not one for all the extras, you can pick up the standard edition, which Blizzard has confirmed will retail for $59.99. Still no release date, but Blizzard says we can expect that information "in the coming weeks."

Source: http://www.destructoid.com/blizzard-announces-starcraft-ii-collector-s-edition-170358.phtml

I won't be buying it, another $40 is a bit much for a collector's edition.

What strikes me as reason for concern is the dlc / decals that "customize your units in-game." If it's a one time thing it won't bother me but I really hope blizzard isn't going to go EA on us and monetize on tons of stupid little gimmicks. The decals sound like sc2's version of wow's in-game pet purchases...

Level 45
Wait?...you think paying 100usd is insane? An extra 40 dollars for a 60-70 dollars worth of goodies is insane?
Wow..like, do you go to the game shops here in Australia? Like Ebgames and Dick smiths?
Cause, you know....games NOT being collectors edition (new release) are about 100-120 dollars :/...I mean, hell, the new streetfighters and dawn of war stuff was about 100 dollars!...AVP was 80 dollars with NO goodies. Warhammer online (now like 1-2 years old) is a subscription game...and it STILL sells for 100 dollars in most places :/

Avp collectors edition? that was 120 AUD.
Aion Collectors edition? thats a subscription game! 100+ AUD.
Like, you know...wasnt/isnt Wrath of the lichking collectors edition..you know...140 dollars? and its an expansion AND for a subscription based game.

Really, this is GOOD news for me.. if its "official".

and no..60 dollars for the original sc2 is not bad, not good..but yeah not bad..
Dont complain "but it doesnt have the zerg/protoss stuff! they will sell them for extra money too! So we are paying like 200 dollars for one game!"
Cause you know...you are buying 1/3 of a game right?, even though it has map editor with full races and multiplayer with full races.

Even though "apparently" the terran campaign in sc2 has just as many missions/gameplay hours as the ENTIRE sc1 (zerg, pro and ter put together) :|
I mean, guys..take a look at wow, playing that for a year with all the expansions (when they were new) is like 500+ dollars :|

Level 12
Source: http://www.destructoid.com/blizzard-announces-starcraft-ii-collector-s-edition-170358.phtml

I won't be buying it, another $40 is a bit much for a collector's edition.

Think.
$60 for the game.
$25 for StarCraft and StarCraft: Brood War on a 2GB, infinitely reusable USB drive.
$10 for the soundtrack.

That's already $95 of it. Now, in the last $5, you get...
WoW In-game pet (worth $1)
Special Battle.Net 2.0 content (worth $4)
Behind-the-Scenes DVD (worth $15)
A 176-page SC2 book of artwork from the game (worth $15)
StarCraft 2 comic book (worth $7)
1+4+15+15+7=the meaning of life (42). Therefor, you get 42+95 dollars of content. That's $137 of content for $100. I think $37 savings is something to rejoice about. So nobody go calling it overpriced.

Level 13
IMO extra comestic changes that cost money are way better ways to monetize a game than making you pay for new units and abilities and other things that actually affect gameplay.

Level 22
personally im not buying props, the 3 parts of SC2 hopefully 2 if i get my 1st delivered, are far enough. It seems these are the special features they were talking about. And in order to make sure it's not like 10$ for a new portrait, they made a pack of various thingies to gain 90$. That's called marketing strategy. Im curious to know what they are, not that i will use them.

Level 12
I want it for the art book, soundtrack (yes I know I can rip from the MPQ but still), flash drive, behind the scenes DVD, and maybe the new thor look. But no WoW thing, the comic doesn't interest me, and new profiles don't interest me either.

I want it for the art book, soundtrack (yes I know I can rip from the MPQ but still), flash drive, behind the scenes DVD, and maybe the new thor look. But no WoW thing, the comic doesn't interest me, and new profiles don't interest me either.

Yeah, in all seriousness, I want the original Starcraft (which I lost my disk for), the Behind the Scenes DvD, and the Art Book. The soundtrack could be cool and I don't have a Flash Drive, so it's a decent deal for me.

Level 13
Let me rephrase:
The collector's edition is priced well.

The game itself is priced well for modders, like me. I'm willing to pay the $60 for StarCraft II because it is so modder-friendly. For the average Joe, it's pushing it.

At least $60 is within reasonable boundaries for something as well-made and polished as StarCraft II. In contrast, CoD: Modern Warfare 2, which retails for the same amount, gives nowhere near the longevity and quality (and multiplayer quality) of StarCraft II.

Yeah. I don't think the price is the end of the world (it really isn't THAT much, especially considering the quality).

As for the Collector's Edition. Well, $100 is a bit much, but it contains 3 games, 5 disks (3 of which are the games), a Flash Drive, a book that's almost 200 pages long (even though it's just pictures :p), and extra perks for WoW and Battle.net users.

lol AUSIE AUSIE AUSIE oh wiat uhm... shouldn't it be cheaper in aus cause we arn't in 1 trillion dollar debt? i mean come on I HAVE SEEN STANDARD ONLINE GAME FOR 150 SOMETIMES COME ON AUSIE PRICE DOWN. Yes i know Shipping costs ect, IT CALLED MAKE IT IN AUS NOT JUST USA AND ASIA AREAS....

Another reason come on 130 for collectors that 2/3 of my allownce for the year and 100 for normal RIP OFF, yes it is worth getting the game but if you say
"yah yah we'll get it next year it will be realy cheap" THINK AGAIN in aus it 68 bucks for war3 tft and roc chest with no bouneses.

anyway i guess this is an investment more than a game XD

Level 12
A normal ASD dollar bill is worth less than a normal USD dollar bill. Therefor, it'll cost more on an exact money count for ASD, even though conversion-wise they're the same amount of money.

Level 12
Yeah, so it's an additional 40 bucks to pay for the extras ON TOP OF the SC2 WoL game. Which is great because it's not really 40 bucks worth of stuff, it's 77 bucks worth, as I calculated.

Level 13
I'll see how much it costs at Finland and how much money I have at the time.

As a side note: WHAT THE FUCK!? Verkkokauppa.com (A Finnish (internet) store) is selling Starcraft 2 for 100€!?

Level 4
Had to do it (Arthas in Space):

starcraftiiboxart.jpg

Just teasing you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.