• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Save system that does not requires writing down codes

Level 8
Brisemec, how is the program coming along? Can you get the game to search for the coloured text across the screen instead of forcing only a few resolutions [I play at 1680x1050 for example]?

[Edit] I just read your changelog:
changelog said:
23-12-2007
  • Implemented autodetection of the code location.
  • Displaying the code as cinematics transmission is no longer required.
  • The program now minimizes to tray.
Does this mean that the program can now autodetect at any resolution?

Last edited:
Level 2
Yes, it should work with any resolution. Regarding the development of the application, I haven't been able to convince map makers to use this system (except for one or two). Therefore, I lack motivation to try to enhance it. However, if I find that people are indeed interested in this project, I will certainly continue enhancing it.

Level 1
Wouldn't an easier way to make an autosave code be to use the trigger "Game - Rename Saved-Game Folder" to make a certain folder's name your code, then the program only has to monitor 1 folder and it can reset it to some default name or delete it as soon as it detects it.
The only problem would be filename length limits but I guess you could use 2 or 3 folders then so it's no real problem.

Level 12
Yeah you could. I see that this is a very nice idea for maps. You'd just have to type -load and it would load, only problem would be multiple chars, but you could make like -load1 and the folder is named "6io78-2385-kfG93-9dsng-396GS-86GSe/'1'" for the first load, second would be like 6io78-2385-kfG93-9dsng-396GS-86GSe/'2'. It could work but it would take a shitload of time to make. I'd love to see it in most maps in the future.

Level 8
That could be a very good feature, how many savegame folders can you make though?
And will it affect the player? Wc3 uses that folder as the root directory for looking for games, changing it, even to just Maps/*code* might be a problem, you would have to change it, wait a few secs for the program to pick it up then change it back in wc3.

Level 1
Yeah you could. I see that this is a very nice idea for maps. You'd just have to type -load and it would load, only problem would be multiple chars, but you could make like -load1 and the folder is named "6io78-2385-kfG93-9dsng-396GS-86GSe/'1'" for the first load, second would be like 6io78-2385-kfG93-9dsng-396GS-86GSe/'2'. It could work but it would take a shitload of time to make. I'd love to see it in most maps in the future.

You misunderstood me..
The folder name contains the save code, but it doesn't stay like that. Once the external program sees that you have "saved" your game (or when you tell it you have) it copies the name of that folder and saves your code in a more practical format (text file or whatever). Then you can still load as you normally would by pasting the code which you get from the program (or it can paste it for you when you select your save code in the program).

That kind of system would actually be really easy to implement. All you would need to change is that it only uses characters that can be used in a folder name in the save code, and then just add a trigger to rename the folder to your code when you type -save.

Of course you could put in some effort and make a really fancy system like you suggested, where it reads the name of the folder when you type save, but you would have to do all kinds of stuff like checking if the folder is actually there etc.. and you would still need some kind of external program to control it (cause I don't think you can create folders automatically in warcraft - only rename them, but I might be wrong).

But if you wanted to do something like that you could just as well use gamecaches.

Level 12
Yeah my idea might be hard but I think it could be done.
I think that WEU can make folders but I'm not sure.
By misunderstanding you I actually came up with another way to do it, lol. xD