• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sandbox World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I'm making an attempt to do something I failed at in the past due to a lack of time and experience (mostly incompetence and laziness).

The main thing that killed my old map and led to a frustration was how horrible the world editor handled hundreds of imported models; models which I greedily forced into the import manager till it was busting at the seams. I've since solved the issue. Set Warcraft 3 to allow the use of local files via the registry edit and apparently, you can add models up the wazoo without bloating the map size. (Tutorial step 1 link below):
Customizing your Warcraft

The basic concept:
I've spent a few hundred hours in the object editor and I took the OM Terraining Map as the foundation for my map's terrain until I have something better. I'm making a small Warcraft style world with 24 players divided into 4 categories (Alliances, Clans, Orders, and Dominions) controlled entirely by 1 player. The player will be able to use special units with buttons to trigger changes in the weather, alliances, player color, unit ownership and time of day. There's no AI players, objectives, unit costs, mana

--Below are areas where I could use some pointers and help:

- First, I would like to find a map which has a large variety of terrains.
I want to have the bread and butter terrain types for several climates so I can make a homeland for each faction with terrain tailored to suit them. I want about 60 terrain texture spaces, though I'll settle for whatever's possible.

- Second, I would like to have special units with buttons that can change alliances, team color, time of day and weather as opposed to using the chat box.
I'm terrible at triggers. I just want a few special units with buttons for that triggers that change alliances, time of day, team color, weather in a region, etc.

- Third, I need to know my custom content limits; just how likely am I to break the map?
I've used the registry edit to enable the use of local files within Warcraft 3 and created my own custom folders where I organize my models, icons, textures etc. I've failed at making this project as "grand" as I wanted in the past because I require a myriad of models to make the map.

- Fourth, I need to make minor adjustments to custom models from online to include icons.
I've got the basic tools required to adjust models, frame icons etc. The main things I need are:
A way to take a snip of the in-game model and use a filter or algorithm from an online website or program that can modify the snippet photo to make it look like icon art. Using Gimp takes forever.

Fifth, is there any way at all to create my own custom unit sound sets without overwriting or replacing existing sound sets?
Yeah, I can replace sound sets but I'm probably going to use them all. There's got to be a way to use local files to make custom sound sets.

Sixth and lastly, is there any way to create my own custom object editor folders to organize the units better?
I want 24 separate racial style factions with their own folders because it's getting rather messy. It seems like a custom world editor or tweaking could allow for more file trees in the object editor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll update and post more when I can. For now I'll include the map and if you want, request an update if I've made any significant progress I'll update the attached files.
I've attached three files for anyone who's curious. You'll need to follow the registry edit to allow the use of local files. The map is like any map, but to use the models and icons I've downloaded, you'll have to unzip the archives into your game directory with a folder name that matches the archive folder name. All folder trees and structure must remain the same so the paths will align with those in the object editor.

Attachments

• Sandbox World.w3x
    1.8 MB · Views: 85
  • custom.7z
    17.7 MB · Views: 39
  • ReplaceableTextures.7z
    12.6 KB · Views: 42
Status
Not open for further replies.