• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Running blank trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey, does it matter if I run a blank trigger in the sense of causing problems or reducing performance? This is the trigger I'm using and I'm thinking of removing the condition, and just let the blank trigger "No trigger" run instead. What do you think?
  • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
    • If - Conditions
      • Items_GeneralTrigger[(Integer A)] Not equal to No trigger <gen>
    • Then - Actions
      • Trigger - Run Items_GeneralTrigger[(Integer A)] (ignoring conditions)
    • Else - Actions

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What happens is it tries to run a trigger with the value of null, which is what GUI refers to as no trigger and is the default value for uninitialized trigger array slots. If this is safe or does anything depends on how run trigger is internally implemented. It should have a native test, like what you wrote above, to only run a trigger if the argument is a valid trigger object.

If it does not have such a test, or a safety for null, then it may be prone to crashing or causing unpredictable behaviour.

Level 7
What happens is it tries to run a trigger with the value of null, which is what GUI refers to as no trigger and is the default value for uninitialized trigger array slots. If this is safe or does anything depends on how run trigger is internally implemented. It should have a native test, like what you wrote above, to only run a trigger if the argument is a valid trigger object.

If it does not have such a test, or a safety for null, then it may be prone to crashing or causing unpredictable behaviour.
It is a real trigger though. So it's not the default value of "no trigger" but a trigger named No Trigger, that is empty.
  • No trigger
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions

Status
Not open for further replies.