• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ruins of Dalaran

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: Vengeancekael
MELEE

Ruins of Dalaran Map Description

After the defeat of Dalaran with its battle against the undead, No more inhabitants try to occupy this area. This has been forsaken already. After a while, bandits and a few water creatures come into this place. This has become there habitation. Use your best strategy in defeating your enemy in this ruins.

This is a melee map created by me

The Creeps

CREEP ENCAMPMENTS
Creep encampments are stated below:
1. Red Camps - 2
2. Orange Camps - 2
3. Green Camps - 4

Neutral Buildings

NEUTRAL BUILDINGS
Neutral Buildings are stated below:
Goldmines
Number of Goldmines: =6
1. low - 12,500
3. high - 20,000
others
2. Fountain of Health - 1

Screenshots

MAP OVERVIEW
204270-albums4892-picture49402.jpg

attachment.php

Change Logs:

(1) Cliff updated. (2) no more red hostile camp at the center - replaced to green encampment. (3) Item drops reduced to one (1), (4) Map title changed (Removed 1 in the title)

CHANGE LOG 2:1. Replaced the fountain of life at the center with a hero tavern.
2. Some updates regarding the terrain and doodads. 3. item drops and creeps changes 4. Red encampment is again placed at center of the map

Change Log 3
1. map has been resized.
2. two gold mines has been deleted to give more room for base.
3. tavern has been unguarded.
4. walls are replaced to give more deformation.
5. nightelf now works.
6. terrain has been modified.

Note

All models and doodads herein are from Blizzard Intertainment. No other models have been exported for use in the map.
Keywords:
dalaran, ruins, ruin, Dalaran Ruins, Ruins of Dalaran
Contents

Ruins of Dalaran (Map)

Reviews
18:49, 9th Aug 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Rejected
Level 9
Comments:]

Main:
-I got raped by horde of Bandits for building things in their land =( ,try to give more spaces in between

Other:
-Terrain is good
-Overall spacing is acceptable, giving more space will be even better =)

Comments:]

Main:
-I got raped by horde of Bandits for building things in their land =( ,try to give more spaces in between

Other:
-Terrain is good
-Overall spacing is acceptable, giving more space will be even better =)

Thanks dude, got to upload the edited one soon...:goblin_sleep:
EDIT: Have already updated the map...

Last edited:
Ruins of Dalaran

Review:

Terrain:

It's quite a small map, fitting for a 1v1 type of map, although the cliffs at the main mine locations are really unnecessary, they don't allow you to block the entrances to your workers with other buildings, forcing you to build them on a lower point and the cliffs aren't even smoothly done.
Forcing the player to pass the red creeps is a bad idea, it disallows you to rush or to harass the enemy in the beginning, due to the elementals not sleeping. Also the tents aren't necessary, remove them. You can make the map more beautiful by adding grass and using different terrain tiles at one location to make it look more 'realistic', like dirt at some spots, etc.

Gameplay:

Due to the terrain blockages, you can't early rush or harass the enemy for that matter, no can you attack the enemy at all without having to kill the red creeps. The creeps put in the center of the map aren't random either and thus they're really annoying, the 4 murlocs just don't allow you to do anything to them with their hex and they're also getting healed constantly by the fountain.

Items:

The creeps drop too many items, they drop 2 items each.

Overall:

This is a melee map, I can only talk a lot about the terrain and judging it, I come to understand that you are a starter.
The map doesn't give the player a lot of options, you can't rush/harass and the cliffs don't allow you to build buildings next to your main.
Rating: 1/5
The map can easily be updated with the modifications I've suggested!

Also:
*Remove the '1' from the map title
*Add a map description to the map (not here)
edit: Rating changed: 3/5

Last edited:
Level 30
Sorry for a late reply, just finish every one of my exams and I owned it :p

Anyways, since I was looking closely inside your map, I spot numerous things that a melee map shouldn't have.

WC3ScrnShot_073011_092307_01.jpg

I realize the main neutral camp is guarded by low level creeps which is really weird, usually if you make your specific main creep camp. you have to place stronger guards because that is the main gold/exp/raid place for every player that uses the map.

WC3ScrnShot_073011_092451_04.jpg

Your map actually describes "Ruins of Dalaran" but looks to me it isn't a ruin but just a mess hall. if your going to add decorations, first start by analyzing it, not just start in placing stuffs around your map and say "I am a mapmaker!".

you should first visualize how your going to interpret your feelings about the game, if its a ruin place, then you need everything to be ruin, like smashed up decors, bone parts, dead trees [take it from the icecrown tree doodad] and etc.

some more examples for this:

WC3ScrnShot_073011_092322_03.jpg

What you need:

Tavern/s - every FT maps needs a tavern, without it, it will make some players sad or worse, explode! some players rely in these neutral heroes because of their skill and how they use it.

Space! - every main bases must expand a huge space for buildings and coup up with changes. but in my conclusion, its so ridiculously hard plus the Level 3 creep camp that guards your every move. if you don't want to change that space, just move away those selfish bandits and edit them :)

Supply Depot - not the starcraft shit, but mostly supplies! yes like the "Goblin Merchant", creeps that drop restoring potions not powerful potions, runes and also tomes. since the map could not last long for a fierce fight, because of how the lumber supply is pretty low you should remove unnecessary stuffs inside the map.

About Creeps / Creep Camps:

since you started with bandits, wizards, and murlocs as your neutral hostiles in the map, I would like suggest you some useful and not irritating ways on how to place them in a good way.

Level 1-2 Creeps / Creep Camps: place them in a way where you won't bump them when your building up a sweet home for your homies during the first starters.
ex. Bandits, Wizzards, Murloc Tiderunners-Huntsmen.

Level 2-3 Creeps / Creep Camps: they now guard far places, neutral buildings, and gold mines that are useful for secondary bases. "if the gold mine increases, so thus the guards must be stronger".
ex. Brigands, Rogue Wizards,

Level 3+ Creeps / Creep Camps: they now hold in the map's treasures, the more the treasure is valuable, the more the creeps needs to be stronger.
ex. Rogues/Enforcers/Bandit Lords, Renegade/Dark Wizards, Murloc Nightcrawlers.

and that's it. hope you read this little pole of mine :)

Level 17
Alright you requested it so here's my review.

Review
General

The basic description of the map before I downloaded it was pretty basic, you should change your "Updates" into a "Changelog" in a hidden/spoiler bb code. There was also a problem with your map description as soon as I went to play it..
attachment.php

You forgot to add a map description to the map itself which is something you need to rectify. Other than that it wasn't too bad.

-> (2/5) <-

Terrain

The terrain was pretty average, but there were a few spots that didn't really have much going on (like the middle for example). There were two spots in the map that didn't really need grass yet they had grass there:
attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm gonna suggest you work on making the terrain better in terms of variety, because at the moment it is okay but not that great.

-> (2/5) <-

Gameplay

I'd have to say this needed the biggest fix. The creeps right next to you give a +15 weapon which is way overpowered in the early game and the creeps in the middle were too weak to be guarding a fountain. You should make the middle harder creeps and the creeps guarding the gold mine next to you a bit weaker but more numerous, however what you did do right was the with the bandits. This map does need some fixing though, try adding shops where the middle gold mines are.

-> (2/5) <-

Overall

This map was pretty bad, you should work on everything and make it better. If you just skipped through everything here is a list of the things you need to work on:
  • Changelog in Hidden BB codes.
  • Shops
  • Creeps
  • Terrain
  • Map Description (In Game)
  • Item Drops
You should check out the Tutorial section on terrain because you appear to be lacking in that.

-> (2/5) <-

Keep working on your map and keep striving to get better, the next time I hear about this map I want it to be much better than what it is right now. Good luck!

Attachments

• error3.jpg
    error3.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 578
  • error1.jpg
    error1.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 524
  • error2.jpg
    error2.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 591
The map has already been fixed according to the reviews given to it... thanks to the three reviewers, I've finally come up into the edited map... still I don't know if this will be approved by the MODs... thanks again to you three...
EDIT: based from the reviews given, I placed the red creep encampment at the center of the map guarding the hero tavern... Don't know if this is right so I still want some comments about this...

Last edited:
Re size map, there is no room for base, also gold mines are to close (base), undead player can own nigh elf easily. Make tavern unguarded. Add some deformation to walls, they are to much straight. Care when you make ramps with terrain tools, use rise up/down to complete them. (Ramp tool just set pathing ground, edit cliff to say it that way).

Please fix this and map will be good enough for approval :thumbs_up: