• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] RPG + Future-Tech + Shooter Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey everyone,
this is my first post ever. Lately, I've been trying to rekindle the flame of an old idea I had back in 2017 for a campaign based in WC3.
It's gonna be in the far future where humans are now fighting orcs (and other things...) on some different planet(s).
Main character gonna be a space marine (not like the Warhammer series; You are gonna be a shooter without a close combat system). You're gonna have multiple weaponry and different combat tools in your arsenal which will be completed gradually as you discover (or: are granted) new tech. I'm trying to achieve an RPG style where you:
  • Can choose the quests you want to take on
  • Have a bounty-like system for tasks that are required by troubled individuals or organizations which will give you some affiliation progress with each group/faction.
  • Make important decisions where that will change the fate of many people and may result in different endings
  • Have to utilize your vast arsenal to overcome your enemies
The main plot is still in the early stages and so is the campaign, and since this is a solo project, I don't know when (if ever :goblin_cry:) will it be ready for release.
I'm posting this to see the reaction and find an answer to my questions:
  1. Since (almost) all the great projects that I've seen and played were in the medieval era, I wanted to know if the WC3 community would be interested in a future-themed campaign. (?)
  2. At first, I wanted to have a 3rd person camera view and let the movement be by arrow keys but then the combat and boss fights wouldn't be as enjoyable as a strategy POV; so, I decided to set POV to a 3rd-person camera infused with a strategy theme (my idea is to increase Pitch and Distance From The Character of the camera of a third-person view so you will have a hybrid of a 3rd person experience and control/interaction of a strategy one) and the movement would be set to mouse (instead of arrow keys) so you will maintain the same camera in and out of fights. Is it a good idea? Should I revert back to my original idea for camera and movement? What are your suggestions?
  3. Also, file size is gonna be a problem I think, since I have to import many models and textures. How much would it affect the playing experience?
Thanks!

Level 15
Super happy to hear that your going to be diving in to a project that you thought of! I've done the same and I have been having a blast working on my project and the one you have laid out seems very interesting!

In terms of your questions, I would love to share my thoughts on each one:

1: I have seen plenty of projects, and enjoyed many, that take place in future-themed setting. I suppose my own interest typically comes by way of genre rather than setting, essentially I enjoy the science fiction elements of such projects. An example of this is Askellon by Boar, as dealing with an alien imposter feels special in this future setting because it meshes well with it. Having an alien amongst say peasants in a medieval setting could be interesting, but it just wouldn't mesh very well. In this sense I believe that so long as your project has a concept that meshes well with its setting, people will love it!

2: Ah the issue of camera in an RPG. To be honest I would personally advise figuring out your aesthetic style for mapping before deciding on a camera angle. This way you can see what looks best in terms of camera perspectives based upon the terrain/layout that you have created, without forcing you in to a specific style. DESPITE this, my recommendation would be a hybrid experience, Warcraft III already comes with support for mouse based movement so why not use it right?

3: I have found that file size is less of an issue than it has ever been. Unless your planning to utilize an abundance of high fidelity assets I find that file size will not be an issue.

Overall I love the idea of this project, and I will be keeping an eye out for it on the Map Development forums should you decide to post it there. I wish you the best of luck on it and I'm hoping to see more!

Level 2
Your response totally made my day.
Thank you for all this positive energy and your detailed response to each of my questions, I will consider each one while making a decision.
I do hope that in the upcoming 2-3 months, the beta testing phase would begin. (at least for the first mission)
I'll probably be all over the forums for my many upcoming questions.

I would love nothing more than to share my creation with enthusiastic positive people like you. :goblin_yeah:

Status
Not open for further replies.