• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

RPG Campaign - Inspired by The Chosen Ones - Looking for Coder/Mentor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
full

I have begun working on a project which most closely resembles, and is inspired by, the Chosen Ones by Aeroblyctos. It is an Eastern-Themed story loosely pulling inspiration from Japanese Folklore. The goal of the Campaign is to create a replayable RPG campaign with new features, customizability in playstyle, discoverable secrets, and engaging lore.

The undertaking of such a project is hefty, as I recall Aeroblyctos worked on his passion project for 8 years. My interests lie within story building and artistic direction rather than in coding, which is the main reason I was driven away from creating a map. Now, I figure rather than letting my ideas waste away in the back of my mind, I will extend an arm to THW community to find someone to help code this project, whether it be as a partner or a mentor. I am by no means inexperienced with coding or the GUI of the trigger editor, but I am far from talented enough to see through with the ambition I have.

I have a WIP map that aims to work as a proof of concept with simple coding that leaves much to be desired.

full

The story and universe I have in mind for this project is one I have parented for many years. It is a fictional place that does not draw any inspiration from Warcraft, however, the medium of custom campaigns and RPG's is a perfect place to explore stories outside of Azeroth.

The Campaign intends to follow a character named Kariudo. He is a Spiritwalker; a highly trained wanderer that traverses the physical world of Yatan in search of spirits. For long ago there was a rift torn between the two worlds and the creatures have been invading ever since. The Spiritwalker's devote their lives to capturing and banishing these spirits to protect their homeland. And more often than not, the Walker's harness the spirit's own power to do so.

Follow Kariudo on his journey to subdue these otherworldly and mystical creatures while learning about his realm along the way. In tandem with re-playable gameplay, the Campaign offers a deep story exploring a fantasy universe
full

Spirit Capture

Eye of Dodomeki

Magic and Mana

Inventory

Abilities

Attributes

Other

Kariudo, like all Spiritwalker's, can commune with Spirits and harness their magic as his own. He enslaves them to further his goal of banishing their kin. Much like a Pokémon game, players are given the opportunity of seeking out optional Spirits in each mission that will grant bonuses and abilities they'd not otherwise get. Or they may choose to follow the main story and forego them altogether.
From the start of the game, the player has access to an artifact called the Eye of Dodomeki which takes up a spot in their inventory. He pried it from the skull of a Dodomeki spirit and now uses it to sense nearby spirits. Using the eye will reveal how many Spirits are left uncaptured in the map. For more experienced players, or when information gets out, they may even opt out of keeping the eye in their inventory.
Magic is very strange in Yatan, the world that Kariudo resides in. Any well-trained human that knows magic can utilize their mana to prevent physical harm (think Naga Sea Witch Mana Shield). Because of this, it is often more imperative to drain a foes mana as opposed to their life. This offers an extra facet to the gameplay, or perhaps another gameplay style, in which the player focuses on mana disruption over direct damage. Another key feature in a user's mana is that it does not naturally regenerate. Neither does Kariudo's. The ways the player can regenerate their mana is by resting at an Onibi spirit (think Dark Soul's campfire), which is a docile spirit that eats the souls of dead humans. By harnesses the Onibi, Kariudo can refuel his life and mana. Another option is through the usage of mana catalysts which are stones charged with mana which one can absorb into themselves.
To further the RPG aspect of the Campaign, the player can access an inventory panel consisting of gear slots from helmet, boots, to a ring and amulet. A key aspect of the Project is customization and to introduce roguelike features encouraging replays that feel different every playthrough.
In tandem with the previous feature, and heavily inspired by The Chosen Ones, the player chooses from an array of abilities to customize their loadout rather than using a set of 4 default abilities. Capturing Spirits will unlock more abilities to choose from. The number of abilities will create different character archetypes to play with whether it be a caster, a melee fighter, a summoner, etc.
Attributes will impact more than just stat boosts. They will directly scale specific abilities through damage, healing, and other stats. Through the use of other Artifact Items, the character may even be inclined to build their character by stacking one attribute as high as possible.
Many other features that draw inspiration from various games are parsing through my mind, such as Path of Exile and Diablo II. However, I am open to hearing others ideas that they feel would make a truly unique and enjoyable RPG campaign experience.
full

I understand I have appeared on the forums as an unknown, so you figure, "why should I read this? Nearly every anon that posts 'I'm working on a campaign' vanishes before releasing any content." Well, this is a project I'm deeply interested in and the only thing barring me from proceeding is a lack of expertise in coding. I have the story, and I have the passion to write it. I desire a Mentor or partner to help me through the process. It may take a while and I am fine with that, but I will be open about the project and provide testing to those interested in an unfinished project.

The Story of Yatan, the place this Campaign resides in, is a Story I have been writing for over 5 years. It is a passion project and one I've kept to myself until now. I want to open it up for others to explore and critique. Combine that with my interest in map making, and I have myself the perfect medium to do so.

The Map

The map is a proof of concept put together recently. It is not close to done and was made in Warcraft III Reforged so it is not openable on the default World Editor. (I started to interest in this project while on the Reforged Editor. It is simple enough to recreate in the normal editor within 30 minutes) You won't find much in the map other than a layout of where some events will go; which remain stripped of any intricate coding.
Thank you!

Please message me or comment if you've found interest in the project. I can be contacted on discord at Artistique#300 or on the Hive through PM's. Also, I am not opposed to the idea of accepting help from more than just a coder. Thank you all again!

Status
Not open for further replies.