• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Router problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
So, hosting through modem is not quite safe that's why I use Router. I can host through router easily but the problem is - People have bad connection. When I host people have loads of delay and lag. IF I use delay reducer, latency reducer or anything similar it makes massive lag spikes for people (even if DR is set to 522).

When I host on Modem people have perfect connection and I can easily use DR (Delay Reducer) to make people connection even better. However, I have noticed that my AVG detects viruses when I use Modem-only connection - basically some hackers try to send viruses to my computer, happens sometimes. With Router I have no viruses whatsoever.

But the main reason of this thread is how to fix this horrible connection for people who join my games D:?

I have Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (4 port switch)
Model: WRT54G

I have full access on Router.

A help would be very appreciated ^^

Level 34
Is the game port forwarded properly? If so, I don't think there's much you can do besides getting a better ISP connection.

Level 10
If I wouldn't port forward properly I wouldn't be able to host, no? But I can host, I have set ports to 6112-6112, so everything is OK with hosting.

EDIT: Just a remainder: Bad connection for others is ONLY when I host with Router and not with Modem, So I don't think ISP is bad, something is wrong with my Router D:

Level 34
I don't think anything is wrong with it. I'm pretty sure it's normal to see a slower connection for others when you're using a router. I'd play with settings to see if you can open it more. Other than that I don't think there's much you can do.

Level 10
I think I found something in Router settings - QoS (Quality of Service). It allows me to control data rate or somekind of connection flow. Since I am using Ethernet method for my computer, I disabled flow for Port 1, Port 2 and Port 3 (My internet cable from router to my PC is connected with Port 4) and I set Port 4 priority to high. HOPEFULLY it will give me some good connection =p

EDIT: Added attach picture of QoS page.

EDIT2: IT WORKS! No more bad delay or spikes!

Attachments

• QoS.jpg
    QoS.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.