• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Roofs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Im not sure quiet how to a roof, I've tried a couple ways but none seem to work the way I want. Im making an rpg map that is mostly wilderness, but there is a large city in the top left. So far, in the city is a couple buildings, but i have made them so u can see into them, like they are just walls with tables, fires, chairs, etc. in them. So far i have the walls up and they have visibilty blockers around the walls so u cant see into them. I want it so u cant see the doodads within in them by putting a roof, and when u walk into the roof dissapears, but im having a problem:
1. I dont kno how u guys do it! I have seen a couple screenshots of roofs but i dont kno how guys make it so the roof floats above the walls, i tried using just a flat wooden floor and raising it, but it doesnt work.
If someone could give me some help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Level 5
Unfortunately, you cannot modify regular doodads with triggers.

However, you can do this with destructibles! Just create a destructible that's impossible to click on during the game. Next, create a location at each entrance to whichever house has the roof.

You then just simply create a trigger where, "Unit enters location, hide this destructible". That way, whenever a unit enters the building, the roof will magically "disappear".

If your map is multi-unit/multi-player, you'll want to also have the entire house be included in a location, and do a check to see if any player owned units are there when you enter/leave the building. Doing so prevents the building roof showing up while units are still inside.

Level 6
this helps me with the roofs dissapearing but, i still dont know how to make a roof. I need a roof model maybe, but i dont know how to make the roof at all. All i have right now is walls without a roof. I need to know how to make the roof be above the walls, instead of just sitting on the ground. Thanks again

Level 5
Unfortunately, destructibles have a hard time varying their sizes (X,Y, and Z must be the same ratio, rather than different like normal doodads). So, you may have to have several different doodads form the roof, and simply set them to a certain destructible grouping (to make it easier for triggers, unless you want to select each one every time).

To make the destructibles "hover" in the air, simply select them and hold the ctrl key while pressing the PgUp key (PgDn key lowers elevation).

If you can find a destructible that allows for varied XYZ ratios, it'll make it really easy to have a very large flat object to form the roof (though I don't believe such "base" destructibles exist, though I could be wrong!).

Level 6
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! that really, helped and i had no idea that you could do that. I think that the naga circle floor pad is pretty flat, by the way.
+ rep

Status
Not open for further replies.