• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rock Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I like it but its not really appealing to ever see blizzard units in a terrain.

Level 10
I like it but its not really appealing to ever see blizzard units in a terrain.

Oh, c'mon. It's just a screenshot, not a real work in use. I'm sure you can see through those units. I'm just trying to add a context, some action, to the screenie. The units aren't important, not part of the terrain. Just fillers, as you could imagine a battle like this taking place.

What if the screenshot were taken ingame, and these were heroes in an RPG or whatever? So if people saw the units on the screenshot afterwards, they'd say "Ugh, that terrain doesn't appeal to me, because of those yucky Blizzard units!"

Level 13
K but even without it i can't see through a floating rock and how the sky is just a line in the corner.

Level 10
Sky: Correct.
Floating rock... I was actually thinking of whether I should cheat with this picture, because that rock looked weird. I decided not to do so, and instead tell people, that the rock is in fact not floating. It just looks weird, and it has to do with the way the WE calculates shadows. It came to look like that after I pressed Calculate shadows and save map.

And the sky by the waterfall, yeah... pff.... Bah, t's just a detail :)

Level 13
Well i can see it not floating but it still looks floating but all n all its ok.

Level 19
The river in picture one should be more greyish. Also the upper rocks shouldn't look that separated from – what I assume it's supposed to be – a big cliff. Try to scale rocks and playing around with their heights, until they look more smooth. Maybe some stars for the sky would look nice?

The visible part of the waterfall in picture one with rocks around it looks very realistic. Good job on that.

Level 3
Remember, fellow critiques, this is all supposed to be playable. And for a playable map it's looking quite detailed.
I personally am a great fan of Huggets work and have yet seen a piece that disappointed me, he even has a fair point about blizzard cliffs ahaha :).
I cannot wait until your project is complete Hugget, just wish i could be part of it.

Btw, i really like the cliffs in the first picture, but the waterfall looks a bit too smooth.

Level 10
Thanks for those words, Sakuria - and thanks to others who have replied - though this terrain wasn't actually meant to be playable. I just felt like playing around with some of the toys I hadn't used so much yet. Now working on using those things for a playable, but this here isn't playable. I've learned a lot since I presented my first stuff in the terrain board, and I learned that people here are hard to satisfy, and the competition is harsh. So I have been slightly convinced into reforming my standards, simply, and to accept some of the common ideas of "what's ok" and "what's not ok", hence Blizz cliffs.

That said, I think what people wants is that I spend more time on it, doing more careful, meticulous, detailed, and completed work.

Lol i hope all the elfs died :pal:

I'm sure they did. No worries here :D

Last edited:
Level 7
Looking pretty neat^^

However, on the first pic you should decrease Z start, and increase Z end on the fog. And on the second pic the watefall looks like it comes from out of nowhere; I think it would look better if you place some mountains behind it.

Level 10
Looking pretty neat^^

However, on the first pic you should decrease Z start, and increase Z end on the fog. And on the second pic the watefall looks like it comes from out of nowhere; I think it would look better if you place some mountains behind it.

Z-start is allready 0. I have difficulties making a proper night lighting. That's why I set the fog Z-end so short; to create a nighty feel.
I really wish I knew how to make it all a lot darker, and barely visible. Then I could increase the Z-end, making a poorly illuminated horizon, yet one where you could make out the main objects. A bit like in Megafyr's cool, ruined prison.
Maybe I should also place some small lights on the towers; to resemble windows with candles and lamps. Yes there are two towers in the first screenshot, but the second has disappeared completely in the fog. If the lighting were proper, you could barely make out that tower too.

I gotta redo it if the waterfall shouldn't come outta nowhere. I guess I didn't plan on this view when making it, and forgot about the waterfall problem when choosing the view. The map ends behind that "rock wall", you see :)
I have a tendency, or a desire, to stretch my terrain creativity to the borders of the map. I think the borders are important (if you were for example to make a 1st or 3rd person map). Only problem here is the border isn't properly concealed. Gotta work alot on that in the future.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Antialiasing, an option best displayed via an example.
His screen shots were taken without antialiasing turned on let alone at high values.

Below is a screenshot of a terrain by void taken at only 8x antialiasing.
HDterrainVoidDome.jpg

Compare the edges of geometry when both screenshots are at 1:1 view resolution (not zoomed in or out).
You will notice the one with antialiasing looks a lot finer on the edges (smoother) than without (step are visible).

Ofcourse forcing it on lowers FPS, but as its a stationary screen shot that does not mater and good PCs can run WC3 at 16x at full FPS anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.