• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] RLH Revival

What's More Dreadful and Horrifying?

• Giant Interdimensional Shadow Scorpions Comprised of the Souls of the Lost and Damned.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hulking SKeletal Automatons Made up of Adamantine Alloys Reinforced with Black Magic and Possesd by

• An Ancient Hydra Born of Ritualistic Sacrifice, which Consumes Men, Body and Soul.

• Swirling Black Masses of Soul Stripping Metaphysical Hatred, Washing over Dungeons Room by Room.

• Small White Rabbits with Large Pointy Teeth.

• All of them...?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
:grin:Hello Everybody!:grin:

I would like to announce that I am currently working on a reboot of an old map I released back in 2010.

It was called Run Like Hell, version 7, still accessible here :fp: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/run-like-hell-v-07current-139899/

(I realize this game shares its name with several other old maps and one ancient Xbox original title)

The Purpose of this thread is to introduce the new project, reach out to you guys about its development, and ask a few questions on how I might do things better than the older version.

------------Updates-------------

Update: The original map has been re uploaded with bug fixes and the monster works properly!! Give it a go.

Update For 06/21/15

So the new map has had a good start and things are really beginning to take shape. Here's a few pics of the mapping being done.

Library.jpg

Library%202.jpg

Map%20Start.jpg

-------------------------------------------

So on to the project itself!

The object of the original game was to collect hidden keys found in rooms throughout a massive dungeon, in which you and/or your friends were trapped, as you speedily raced toward freedom.

Why the rush you might ask?

Because there was a giant hungry beast waiting in a cage in the room you started in; ready to be released quite soon after you began your quest for freedom.

The Beast Itself

The%20Beast%201.jpg

And it was more than just racing against the clock, or the skittering legs of the monster... Maybe you got lucky (depending on the set difficulty) and would find lots of traps and minions to leave in your wake, buying you the precious time you needed to get ahead.

Minions.jpg

There were even puzzles, bosses, and mini games included in the mix so that the pace would never get too monotonous or intense. And then, at the end of the game, was a special defense/siege mode where you faced off against the beast in one final confrontation.

Winter Room

Winter.jpg

Mid Game Shop

Mid%20Game%20Shop.jpg

ItPig Tag Mini Game

ItPig.jpg

(Running from the pig with its tiny, speedy, little hooves!)

-------------------------------------------

It was a decent idea I think. But, at the time, I was very new to mapping and the game simply lacked polish. There were also some bugs that lessened the gameplay, which could be quite fun when things worked.

The major problem with this map was the beast itself. I used a plethora of scripts and tweaks to keep the monster on track and it seemed to work for at least the first few rooms of the dungeon (And much longer in some instances of play), but at certain random points, the beast would get stuck in a corner or wander off even though it was carefully scripted to search each room one by one, the doors locking behind it, in search of prey, and then moving on to find its next meal in the next room.

So, knowing this, here comes my first question: what might someone recommend to ensure that the new monster, in the new map I'm making, stays on track and relentlessly pursues the trail of the players running for their lives?

I remember there was an option I could check on or off per player (specifically the AI player in control of the beast) that prevented its units from returning to base/starting point, but I think the problem might have been more complex than that and would need more looking into.

Thanks in advance for any input. If the new game takes off, I'll be posting in here a lot, looking for community feedback as the project grows.

:thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.