• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Strategy / Risk] Risk Reforged: Rome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Risk Reforged: Rome (RX3)
By Cobalte
A fresh take on Risk in which up to 24 players compete to restore the glory of the Roman Empire, doing battle across the historic Provinces of Rome and its allies during its greatest extent in 117 AD. Except Scotland.

i00W03C.png

Basic Gameplay
At the start, all players are given 8 of 216 cities, randomly dispersed throughout the map. Conquer your Province and nearby Provinces to increase your income while delicately balancing diplomacy, trade, and defensive capacity as whoever seizes control of 65% of the map (142/216 cities) wins the game.

Game duration: typically 50-70 minutes (fast mode coming soon).

Main Differences
In an effort to make RX3 unique, strategic, and memorable, many key differences have been implemented.

I. Ships cannot conquer Ports, meaning any invasion necessitates troops on the ground. To keep things balanced, Ports also cannot attack Ships -- allowing you to completely blockade a player's port.
II. Units are completely reworked for more melee centered combat, with unique Attack and Armor types to form a complex rock-paper-scissors-and-another-rock system.
III. Defense is made easier by the introduction of the Scorpion, which if used tactically can make the difference at both land and sea.
IV. Income and Bounty have been reworked to give players who are being slaughtered a chance at recovery. Small empires with little territory get a Scale Bonus income, which increases as the game length increases - and a Survivor Bonus for players who have somehow managed to stay alive despite all the odds.
V. To give naval units a purpose beyond guarding transports, trade with other players can decide the outcome of wars. And since money wins wars, trade can uniquely decide a game.

Did you say Trade?
One of many unique features of RX3, if the host selects Trader Mode, all Ports have the capacity to become economic hubs of your burgeoning empire.
Trade ships travel between ports to sell their region-unique cargo. Cargo reflects the real exports of the Provinces of Rome!
The value of cargo is based on the distance between ports. Once your trader is sent, you can't control it beyond having the ability to recall it to a different port.
Players can unite and embargo large players, form island kingdoms, or become little more than vassal states for massive empires seeking ever more income...

But where there are Merchants... There are Pirates!
Trade dominates the Mediterranean, but poses a unique opportunity for players to establish themselves. Sinking Trade Ships provides a hefty bounty of gold for the attacker. Will you form your Empire as a bastion of free trade, or make everyone your enemy as you assemble a dread corsair fleet from the bounty of sunken merchant ships?

Disclaimer
"Hey," you might be thinking, "isn't Risk Reforged Saran's game? How come you're calling your game Risk Reforged?!"

I. "Risk" has been in Warcraft since the dawn of custom games, and "Reforged" is the name of the HD remaster. So since RX3 is designed to be Reforged compatible, and is a Risk game, I'll put the two words together if I damn well please.
II. RX3 is largely inspired by Risk Devolution and by Saran's Risk Reforged. In many ways, RX3 is meant to be a spiritual spin-off of Risk Reforged and to largely appeal to the same player base. If we called every Footmen Frenzy by a different name...
III. It's debatable whether or not Saran's Risk Reforged is even Saran's, but I'll leave it to developers who were more directly involved to argue that detail.
IV. I'm not protecting my map and anyone is free to copy my code and use it for their own purposes, or release unofficial versions of the game.
V. Blizzard owns all of our shit anyway, who fucking cares?

====== Everything Else =====
The current version of the game is v1.15P, still considered Early Beta. As of April 3rd 2020, 7 official beta tests have been conducted. A link to downloading the map will not be provided here until the official map release. Please contact me if you want access to the latest version, otherwise find one of our regularly hosted lobbies on US East.
If you want to make suggestions for features, game balance, report bugs, or anything else, the best way to contact me is via the official RX3 discord. You can also message me on HIVE but I'll probably be slower to reply.
Invite code: Join the RiskReforged: Rome Discord Server!
A big thanks to the many people indirectly involved in this project:
Saran, for his work on Risk Reforged and for inspiring me to take up this project, as well as generously providing me the code to only allow transports to load/unload on a specific terrain type (couldn't figure that shit out for the life of me and the solution was excruciatingly simple)

olofmolman and GolluM_KoMe for their trireme and quinquereme models,
PrinceYaser for his BTNGrapes,
.KC and diosilva16 for his Villager man 40 animations,
KelThuzad for his BTNSilverBar,
BLazeKraze for his BTNHorse
Explobomb for his BTNBattleElephant,
MarcosDab for his BTNHeavenlyDemolisher,
NFWar for his BTNHorseShoes and BTNShipHull,
Asssssvi for his Spearman Lordaeron,
Darkfang for his BTNSearingArrow

And a big thanks to everyone who has helped beta test, especially Ax1s, Delroy, PistolPete, and may more who I cannot recall their names.

If you think I missed you in credits, please send me a PM and I'll fix it immediately.
Currently there are only two game modes with many more expected to come. "FFA (Standard)" is a normal Risk match. "FFA Trader Mode" enables Traders, and is the way the game is currently intended to be played. But if you're looking for a normal risk experience, FFA (Standard) is perfectly playable.
Future features are still highly subject as I am actively taking suggestions and testing their implementation during this early Beta phase. Please hit me up in Discord if you have major suggestions!

Features that can currently be considered guaranteed*:
- Alliance mode
- Fast paced mode
- Enable fog of war
- Increased trader capacity based on variety of conditions
- Sorted multiboard
- Regional bonuses for controlling entire areas (Germania, Gaul, Phoenicia, Anatolia, etc.)
- Unique troops from certain Provinces (Belearic slingers, Scythian Horse Archers, Numidian Light Cavalry, etc.)
*Not actually guaranteed

A list of known bugs is provided on the Discord. This page will be updated actively at minimum with each major update, though hotfixes may not be posted.

Attachments

• BetaTest v1.13p  SS_1.png
    BetaTest v1.13p SS_1.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 109
  • BetaTest v1.15p SS-1.png
    BetaTest v1.15p SS-1.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 87
  • BetaTest v1.16p SS-1.png
    BetaTest v1.16p SS-1.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 86
  • BetaTest2_SS_1.png
    BetaTest2_SS_1.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 81
  • BetaTest2_SS_2.png
    BetaTest2_SS_2.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 103
  • BetaTest3_SS_1.png
    BetaTest3_SS_1.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 70
  • BetaTest3_SS_2.png
    BetaTest3_SS_2.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 115
  • BetaTest3_SS_3.png
    BetaTest3_SS_3.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Level 3
Will there be NH pirates and barbarians?

Possibly, but if only as a host option/game mode feature, possibly in the future Capitals mode. RX3 is generally more competitive and "game-like" than structured grand strategy maps like GREECE. The role of pirates and barbarians would be expected to be filled by the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.