• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Revenge TD 1.195

Reactions: Alfagar
“The Short and Simple”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Revenge TD 1.195 Protected
Author: Kyle150

Description: A fast-pace tower defense where creeps run through your maze and return to kill you.

# of waves: 60 + Final Wave
Game-Length: Less than 30 minutes
Solo or Team
Air every 5th level.
360+ Different Monsters
150+ Towers

Sharing disabled
No banking
Income independent of kills
100% sell back
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removed Old Scripts
Fixed issue with Red's Kills being higher
Fixed "Recover the Dead"
Increased Shockwave to 300 radius from 200
Removed 51-2 ability which was bugging and causing mob to attack

Added 40 seconds to initial build-time. (2 minutes to build now)
Changed cheap tower to 0 gold and lowered hp to 40 from 50.
Reduced Whirlwind Damage of Boss round 5
Whirlwind Boss Appears again at 25
Death and Decay (40) changed to 5% from 2%
Disease Cloud 36 (Tower) Aura range set to 450 from 200
Fixed Multi-board kill scoring
Splash towers (36) have had their hot keys changed to A to prevent accidental upgrade

Made Minor Balance Changes.

Moved doodads near the beginning up some to call more attention to the openings in the side.
Fixed the tool tip of Shock wave tower. It now shows H as the hot-key.
Added additional starting comments to address needed tips.
Checked and edited the back swing animation on all towers to ensure they are attacking at the correct rate.
Fixed a bug that prevented the first boss from performing its special attack.
Fixed some bugs that only appeared in Team mode
Removed Life Drain from 1-Special Tower
Fixed a bug in Double Mode that caused Bosses to spawn sooner than expected.
Fixed a bug in Double Mode that caused only 1 Boss to spawn.

Keywords:
Revenge, TD, Creep, Basic, solo, team, war, maul, tower, defense, coop, co-op, awesome, custom
Contents

Revenge TD 1.195 (Map)

Reviews
17:16, 28th Jan 2010 ap0calypse: Approved
Level 3
I hope you enjoy my Tower Defense

This is the first project that I can honestly say i have put more than 100+ hours into.

Below I have included more game information than i wish to include in the game details.

“The Long and Complex”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Revenge TD originally called Basic TD (pre-release)

• Must be challenging; for best experience play at your skill level.
  • Must be completed in less than 30 minutes.
  • Use basic designs before adding additional content.
  • Avoid memory leaks and simplify coding
  • Avoid heavy reliance on Air-damage and prior-gaming-knowledge to win
  • Use naming convention to easily identify strength of towers and monsters (#-naming)
  • Minimize random chance. Let tower choices and maze design determine win/lose outcome.
  1. Monster waves are different each game.
  2. Towers take damage from Creeps and can be destroyed.
    For example: A stone golem might throw a boulder at a tower and stun it.
  3. Play-style: Monsters run to the end of your maze, and then try to return home by any means necessary (Attacking)
  4. Monsters have abilities.
Statistics / Additional Information:

• Player 1 is required to choose difficulty. If no P1, game will default Casual-Mode
  • Game-Length: 27 minutes
  • TD-Type: Solo or Team
  • Max Players: 8
  • Share resources: Disabled
  • Income: Fixed non-creep dependent
  • Banking / Interest: Not used
  • Save / Load Points: Not used
  • Items: None
  • Playable Heroes: None
  • Races / Individual differences between players / “Class” Choices: Not used yet.
  • Difficulty Casual: Mobs start at 50% health and starting health increases by 10% every 10 rounds.
  • Difficulty Medium: Mobs start at 75% health and starting health increases by 5% every 10 rounds.
  • Difficulty Hard: Mobs start at 100%.
  • Double spawn: Doubles your resources and the spawn rate
  • All Random: This mode generates all 6 monster types in the spawn field. -AR may be typed at any time.
  • Teams: This mode moves all players to defend a castle. -TM must be typed within 20 seconds of game starting.

• Rounds: 60 + 1 end boss
  • Monsters per round: 10
  • Spawn Rate: 1 mob every 2 seconds
  • Every 5th level is a possible air round.
  • Time between rounds: 20 seconds

• Build time: 80 seconds beginning at the start of game
  • Build time between rounds: None
  • Builder type: Human (instant)
  • Build Area (Horizontal x Vertical):
  • Main-lane 11x100
  • Left-side 6x100
  • Right side 7x100
  • Additional Area: 8 squares (2x2)
  • Tower Size: 2x2
  • Monster Size: 1x1

• Monsters: 363
  • Different Model Types Used: 360+, No custom models
  • Flying Monsters: 65
  • Unique Monster Abilities: 61 more to come.
  • Movement Speed types: 6
  • Monster Classifications Used: 6
  • Armor types Used per round: 6
  • Bosses: 7

• Towers: 150+
  • Damage types: 7 (to include spell damage)
  • Tower types: 15
  • Single damage type
  • Splash AoE
  • Aura
  • Frost Single-Target
  • Frost AoE
  • Bouncing
  • Sniper
  • Blight-built
  • Poison/Disease
  • Magic Towers
    • Chain lightning
    • Magic-Poison
    • Shockwave
    • Mana Burn
    • Multi-attack
    • Organic Poison

Future Updates / Designs:
  • Allow all players to choose their own difficulty.
  • Add in builder-focus: Income / Aura / Attack / Heal
  • Add Achievement Bonuses
  • Tower additions: AoE-low-levels, Stuns, Poison-1.
  • Add more unit specific attacks/abilities
Known bugs that should be "fixed" now:
  • Magic Towers did not attack after being upgraded. (This was fixed)
  • Leader Board would sometimes not appear in multi-player mode. (This was fixed)

Special Thanks to:
  • Beta testers: Alex, Travis, Boner, Riah, Cynthia
  • Hive-workshop Reviewers

Reference Material:
The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f278/changing-loading-bar-text-112579/
Warcraft III World Editor, Warcraft III Map Making Tutorials, Warcraft III Scripting, Warcraft III Maps - World-Editor-Tutorials.thehelper.net
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f278/all-about-multiboards-84942/

Last edited:
Level 9
Pros:
so many towers which give many possibilities to make your defense
towers are balanced btw i love those bouncing books they look imba when attacking rofl
different difficulty that's great well i took first one was still hard though (if you dont know with sides)
+/-:
are the mobs 1x1 well i build so they could run 1x1 but my towers got attack (they didnt attack) but they automaticly lost health which confused me abit why they did so but i guess they arent 1x1 since they lost hp so this is why it is under -/+
you should also tell if it is protected or not
Cons:
it is lumber instead of gold as normal which i like in some way that is different from normal but i think some people would get confused by that so thats why this is under here
the sides you should tell people they run down that way i guess their are holes you can place towers in to stop it but they just destroyed them if it is easier(thats what it did to me) so thats a bit of a downside
i give 3,5/5 recommend for Approval
if you can "fix" those things my rating will go up
~Cyper95~

Level 3
Pros:
so many towers which give many possibilities to make your defense
towers are balanced btw i love those bouncing books they look imba when attacking rofl
different difficulty that's great well i took first one was still hard though (if you dont know with sides)
+/-:
are the mobs 1x1 well i build so they could run 1x1 but my towers got attack (they didnt attack) but they automaticly lost health which confused me abit why they did so but i guess they arent 1x1 since they lost hp so this is why it is under -/+
you should also tell if it is protected or not
Cons:
it is lumber instead of gold as normal which i like in some way that is different from normal but i think some people would get confused by that so thats why this is under here
the sides you should tell people they run down that way i guess their are holes you can place towers in to stop it but they just destroyed them if it is easier(thats what it did to me) so thats a bit of a downside
i give 3,5/5 recommend for Approval
if you can "fix" those things my rating will go up
~Cyper95~
Thank you for the review.

There is so much information I should put out, but how and where. Its really a matter of time before I refine everything.
---------------------------------------------------------
Q/A

Why am i being attacked? I didn't block?:
  • Your towers were most likely attacked by type 5 monsters (Chaos). They have a burn aura 1 damage/second.
    The damage is counter later by a regeneration tower.
Lumber Vs Gold:
  • I wanted to add a bounty system and have it separate from building resources.
    Its currently disabled and gold is set to 0 to avoid confusion.
The sides you should tell people they run down that way i guess their are holes you can place towers in to stop it but they just destroyed them if it is easier(thats what it did to me) so thats a bit of a downside
  • I think I will add to the initial game comment to address that issue. I think I will also move the doodads up more to make it obvious that they will go through the sides.
  • Not sure exactly how your towers on the side were destroyed. You can block those sides in the beginning without them attacking.
    I can comment on "bouncing mobs" which is probably what happened.
    • If you change the path in which a mob must go to reach its destination, it will attack.
    • For example: You block the Middle and Right side. You then have the mobs run down the left side and at the end, you block the left and open the right path to the exit. Forcing the mobs to run backwards to the right side.
    • Working as intended: Mobs will run down the left side and attack to the exit, instead of changing their path
Different difficulty that's great well i took first one was still hard though (if you dont know with sides)
  • Its more about when it gets hard than how hard you set the game. All modes return to 100% health by level 50.
  • If I could give only 1 tip this would be it:
    "Spend your lumber as you get it." / "The longer your hoard the quicker you die"

Last edited:
Level 28
Review:

Mode: Single Player
Difficulties: Double Casual (no additional modes), Hard (-RD)

Gameplay

Gameplay:
  • Good idea, not really original, but it hasn't been done a lot (Vampire TD or something uses the same idea).
  • The game runs smoothly
  • Finally a map with well-written english, good job ;)
  • No interruption between waves, good
  • The multiboard was rather boring, there were no colors, no icons, nothing...
  • Good game modes
  • Long loading time, any idea what causes this?
  • Even though you are going to change this: Every player must be able to choose the difficulty
  • Team is only for full house, or when is team available?

Towers:
  • Balanced towers
  • A lot of towers, providing enough space for strategies
  • Upgrades are good (gold is calculated for each upgrade, so a Guard tower costs as much as an upgraded Cheap Tower).
  • Good description, more color would be nice though.
  • A few original towers.
  • Not too hard, you can finish the game and it isn't too easy.
  • Blight-only towers are hard to place, is that on purpose? (I guess it is).

Terrain:
  • Not bad, but not really awesome either.
  • No spammed doodads
  • No unnecessary props
Description

Good description at the hive, almost everything you need to know is in there.
Use hidden tags, though

The loading screen is also a bit of a mess.
The most important things are: Modes, hints, short briefing, credits
I don't need to know there is no bank system, if there were a bank system you could add it in the loading screen.
Add the modes and a short briefing in it, add some colors and you're done.
Bugs

Bugs:
  • The creeps follow the shortest path, which means the side-lanes, if you block those lanes, the creeps will follow the normal path.
    I don't know if this was ment to be, but in my eyes it's a bug and isn't good.
  • Speed Tower attack rate isn't as said in the description (check backswing animation, I think it's about 0.5 now).
  • It takes a while for the creeps to attack when blocking (no bug, just something that you might take a look at).
Triggers

Since the map is protected, I don't know if there are ant leaks, or if you've done some "exotic" things that may cause lagg.
In-game I didn't see any trouble with the triggers, so it should be fine.
Overall

In general this isn't a bad game, everything works, almost all towers are complete, not a bad terrain.
Work a little on the things I've pointed out, you might add some extra features or towers.
The game-modes worked, no comment there.

Rating: 3.5/5
+ Vote for Approval

Rating rounded up to 4/5
Reason:
I notice that you are willing to improve this map and that you will fix the things I've said.
If you do that, this map deserves a 4/5.

Level 5
Judging by the terrain... This doesnt look like your average TD... Might look into it :)

Level 3
Review:
Overall

In general this isn't a bad game, everything works, almost all towers are complete, not a bad terrain.
Work a little on the things I've pointed out, you might add some extra features or towers.
The game-modes worked, no comment there.

Rating: 3.5/5
+ Vote for Approval

Rating rounded up to 4/5
Reason:
I notice that you are willing to improve this map and that you will fix the things I've said.
If you do that, this map deserves a 4/5.
Thanks for the review, I'll try to answer what i can.

Gameplay Comments:
I might edit the multiboard to include some other features. I need to figure out why it does not display in multiplayer first...

Load Time:
I am not sure what is loaded during the load time.
Am sure the long load time is due my inexperience in the previous statement.
My guess is that the long load times are from the large number of triggers used in the game.

Team mode can be activated by player 1 by typing -tm.

Blighted Towers:
Through numerous updates and design changes these towers have really fallen from their place. There's not much difference between them and a guard tower short of damage type and their increased range.

placement has always been on either side excluding the middle and openings.

Terrain:
I had a long battle with myself trying to come up with Tower Defense Terrain.
the sides use to be rolling hills but ended up being conflicting to game play. That's why we have bland rocks depicting the playable area.

Description:
I'll make edits to the loading screen.
I had a custom loading screen but after seeing it add between 0.5-1.0 megs to the file I decided to avoid that.
"A large map will deter a large number of players."
"A fancy picture is not worth the lose in players and game-play value."

I know i forced more information into a small box than i should have, I'll be sure to edit it.

Bugs:
I have fixed the side lanes. They are optional areas, if you so wish to use them for mazing. I have moved the top opening further down to bring more attention to the sides.

I'll get the back-swing fixed. Now, should the back swing be equal to the cool down or less?

Level 28
You can reduce the filesize of the loading screen if you set the quality to 60-80%.
The quality loss depends on the image, sometimes the loading screen becomes really bad, sometimes it stays good.

Try to decrease the quality without ruining the image.
If you want, I can do it for you... but only if you can't do it yourself (otherwise you're just lazy :p).

The backswing should be less, to be sure, it doesn't really matter if it's under 0.100...

Level 3
Been awhile since I've updated this map, still a lot of issues to take care of.

Upcoming Changes V1.17:
Add 40 seconds to initial build-time. (working on a -go system from scratch)
Adding a Zero-cost Tower
Splash towers (36) have had their hot keys changed to A to prevent accidental upgrade.

-- Redesigning skill-based attack for all mobs.

Last edited:
Level 3
Here's the 1.17 updates:
Added 40 seconds to initial build-time. (2 minutes to build now)
Changed cheap tower to 0 gold and lowered hp to 40 from 50.
Splash towers (36) have had their hot keys changed to A to prevent accidental upgrade.

V1.2
I want to change how the mobs attack and will probably make all creeps have the potential for all abilities instead of only certain mobs having special abilities.

Last edited:
Level 3
Interesting tidbit I found during testing:

Attacks made from units are very much like abilities cast. The cooldown of an attack does not reset when a unit is upgraded.

This can result in the appearance that towers are not working at all when upgrading from a "Slow" Cooldown to a Fast one.

This 'Bug' can be replicated easily by upgrading from a 100.00 cooldown attack to a 1.00 cooldown attack... See yah in about 2 minutes damage.

V1.2 changes
Fixed kills again >.<
Removed Sell-floating Text
Change name of Cheapo tower to Wall.
Changed appearance of Wall.
Added Warnings to initial Wall and Sniper Academy Buildings.
Added Tip to build a Regeneration Tower.
Added Quest: Special Thanks
Added Quest: Stress Test
Added 2nd stress test: At 55 new buildings will no longer be instantly built
Changed Builder into a "Human" builder instead of an "Other/Orc" builder (The unit will build outside instead of inside)
Added correct description for Shockwave Tower Radius
Changed how the Shockwave / Chainlightning and Magic Poision were casting from Trigger.
Changed side entrance Appearance

Last edited:
Level 3
hmm. nice map. Played it a couple of times and here is my feedback:
CONS:
-too hard. tried playing on normal and even when i played it for the 5th time i could not reach very far
-all towers have same hp regardless of their level (100 or 136 hp) which totally sucks considering that they can easily be destroyed
-you have some camera issues when you try to scroll up/down
-most important: there are WAY TO MANY TOWERS given all at once. You have absolutely no chance of thinking a tactic if you play the map for the first time, or even after a couple of times. Try giving them a few at a time with upgrades or stuff
-some special towers do not attack some creeps (shockwave), but it is not written anywhenre
-levels come too fast. If you take a look at the game text area a new level appears before the text from the old one dissappeared which is pretty confusing
-you suggest that we build a regeneration fountain as soon as possible. I had to use greedisgood to build all the towers to see which one is it because it does not specifically says anywhere
-the terrain is made specifically so you can only make 2 types of mazes, the most basics ones in a line... you have to somehow be able to make more complex mazes considering that this is a tactics map
-the text that appears when you sell a tower is absolutely annoying. if you sell several towers at once you easily fill the zone with overlapping text that is extremely dull and unprofessional

PROS:
-a wide diversity of towers , most of them unique(although given all at once)
-instant tower building(very useful)
-a very tactiful game (but requires a lot of balancing)
-good concept

my rating was 2/5 due to many unbalancing in the game and some "bugs" like the tons and tons of overlapping text and also due to the enormous amount of towers.
Keep in mind one thing: usually what counts most is the first impression. If you play a map and you don't like it the first time, you won't want to play it again. It just has way too many options for one to choose at start.
I had to play your map 4 times to understand most of the towers which is not that great