• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Resoultion Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Today, after 2 months I decided to play multiplayer game of War3. When I clicked "Battle.net" i received notification that I need to install Frozen Throne, so I installed it. Problem is that game run with black sides on the screen. Then i returned to RoC as I wanted just a multiplayer game not frozen throne but it required frozen throne again. So I don't have acess to battle.net through Reign Of Chaos and Frozen Throne runs in terrible resoultion.

Resolution problem can't be solved through game's video settings or regedit.

My english is limited so I maybe explained this awful.

Sorry if I posted this thread at wrong place.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Be aware that the game will only display correctly at 4:3 resolutions. It never has supported anything but 4:3 and playing it on a wide screen resolutions will degrade viewing experience due to distortion (squares become rectangles).

Would be nice if Blizzard could centre the game on screen. Having it to the side is awkward to play with on wide screens.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It centers just fine for me. If it doesn't for you, you should post a bug report.
When running not running in windowed fullscreen mode it centres fine because the GPU/Display centres it. It does not centre in windowed fullscreen mode because WC3's resolution setting is then nothing but internal resolution which is placed onto the native resolution.

Level 1
I have just found another RoC in frozen throne folder with same resoultion problem and access to multiplayer while my old RoC runs in full screen but it keeps asking me do download FT which i already did. Pretty confusing.

Here are screenshots of these 2 RoCs

Attachments

• war 1.png
    war 1.png
    976.1 KB · Views: 90
  • war 3.png
    war 3.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Level 1
Go to Video Settings and click the checkbox below the resolution dropdown menu. This will allow the screen to stretch again.

(someone else will have to help with running Reign of Chaos, since I don't play that)

This works! Thanks man :D I dunno how I haven't seen this option before.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
war 1.png is of an old version of RoC. Delete it.

war-3.png is the latest version, use that.

Disabling the fixed aspect ratio flag will allow you to select wide screen resolutions. However be warned that WC3 only supports 4:3 resolutions so anything else will badly distort (what should be square is rectangular).

I dunno how I haven't seen this option before.
Was added in recent patches. It is part of a temporary work around for non 4:3 resolution supporting displays until proper 16:9 wide screen support is added. It is very hacky I do admit and they could at least have tried to centre the output image.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I was under the impression they didn't add proper widescreen support because that would give certain players a larger view of the battlefield and that's heretical to hardcore RTS players.
StarCraft II has wide screen suppor. Just as good as no one used non 4:3 displays back in 2003 odd when WC3 was being developed.

Generally one gives 16:9 displays an advantage over 4:3. This is because 4:3 displays are very rare and almost all professional gaming setups, such as used at major events, use 16:9 displays.

Status
Not open for further replies.