• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Requesting a Diablo 3 Inspired Necromancer model

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Hello, Hive. This is a big one.

As the title suggests, I am looking for a Diablo 3 inspired wc3 model of above average quality for the Sunken City Hosted Project. You can google any reference images regarding how the Diablo Necromancer looks like, but I will attach a couple below. Do keep in mind that when it comes to animation, the model should be spellcaster-oriented, rather than melee.

References:
e7793a31160a5814077fe2309800916b--diablo--necromancer.jpg

latest

SpasMaster

Level 23
I am well aware of that model, but I find it very buggy with many issues, especially with the legs.

EDIT: An edit of the model, which improves the texture and fixes the weird legs, animations and floating weapon could work. Although this would require the author's approval.

Last edited:

SpasMaster

Level 23
Sorry for my delayed responses, I haven't been at home for the last week, been on vacation.

As someone who has not done any modeling before, I cannot comment on @Stefan.K's remarks (which I am sure may be valuable and/or correct) since he has solid modeling experience.

However, what I can comment on is that the model on the second wip starts to take a nice shape. I love the scythe "glow" and I like his position with the scythe on the shoulder. Could be a very nice idle animation. :)

Level 18
It's looking damn fine, Proxy! I know right now it's just a wireframe, but I think the full black armor serves him well!

Perhaps when he's done, you can make multiple textures for him? Just a suggestion, I know what a PITA that might be.

SpasMaster

Level 23
By the way, for when you begin working on the animations, I'd like to request a specific animation (for an instant spell, not channel) where the Necromancer extends his non-armed hand forward. Meant to fit the icon below. But I won't mind if the channel animation is the same thing, just looping.

Attachments

• SiphonBlood.jpg
    SiphonBlood.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 62

SpasMaster

Level 23
Ok, I do adore the results until now.

Since animations are next, here are some things that would be nice to see:
-Reanimation animation: Animation used for Raise-dead-type spells. Perhaps directing the scythe upwards?
-"Roar" animation: Roar-type animation, preview in the video here from 0:22 - 0:24 (click), which can have multiple uses. (Visible in the top left corner of the video)
-"Swipe" animation: I'd assume this one would be more difficult to do. Frontal cone swing with the Scythe (click).

Of course, these are suggestions, so feel free to do as many of them as you feel like (if any).

SpasMaster

Level 23
I still haven't developed his kit in its entirety, so I am not entirely sure yet. I know I'll split the hero in 2 themes - blood/essence(ghostly). Raise Dead will be Essence for example. And then there is this Blood skill I plan to have that I showed you the icon for. Then the Scythe Swing-y thing would be essence aswell.

I think it would be wisest to leave the blood/essence special effects out of the default model animations, cause hero designs may change often, while an animation would be there forever.
What would be very handy would be if you (want to) create the visual special effects as separate models that would be attached to his hands/weapon/etc. That would allow to create recolors of both. For example: ghostly/blood hand glow, ghostly/blood scythe swing, etc. And then you attach those when/where it's necessary. I am not sure if this would be more work for you. I certainly don't want to put tasks upon you that you didn't sign up for.

If you do decide to conjure up some special effects from the 2 variations for the model - that's great.
If not, then I'd leave all animations (except the scythe swing I guess) neutral, and then I can look up for stuff to attach.

What do you say?

Level 51
I still haven't developed his kit in its entirety, so I am not entirely sure yet. I know I'll split the hero in 2 themes - blood/essence(ghostly). Raise Dead will be Essence for example. And then there is this Blood skill I plan to have that I showed you the icon for. Then the Scythe Swing-y thing would be essence aswell.

I think it would be wisest to leave the blood/essence special effects out of the default model animations, cause hero designs may change often, while an animation would be there forever.
What would be very handy would be if you (want to) create the visual special effects as separate models that would be attached to his hands/weapon/etc. That would allow to create recolors of both. For example: ghostly/blood hand glow, ghostly/blood scythe swing, etc. And then you attach those when/where it's necessary. I am not sure if this would be more work for you. I certainly don't want to put tasks upon you that you didn't sign up for.

If you do decide to conjure up some special effects from the 2 variations for the model - that's great.
If not, then I'd leave all animations (except the scythe swing I guess) neutral, and then I can look up for stuff to attach.

What do you say?

I'm not sure if I find the time for it and I'm not that good with special effects. I guess it's even harder to make them fit later on attaching them "seperatly" ingame.

In the meanwhile, here's a basically finished model. There are a few fixes I have to make here and there (adjust footprints and death sound and so on) but everything else should be fine for testing.

necro.JPG

I've added a blueish glow to his shoulderpad and weapon for now, as I think it looks really cool and it should match with blood type spells too IMO. Can be changed of course or removed completly. It's also possible to make it teamcolour but it doesn't look as good.

The scythe swing animation might not be the best but I'm only a beginner when it comes to real animating so that's the best I can offer.

Attachments

• Necromancer.mdx
    110.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Necromancer_Portrait.mdx
    47.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Necromancer_512.blp
    571.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

SpasMaster

Level 23
I am finally back from work and have time to respond. Sorry for the delay.

I'm not sure if I find the time for it and I'm not that good with special effects. I guess it's even harder to make them fit later on attaching them "seperatly" ingame.
Don't worry about it at all, man. :) There are plenty of resources out there that will do the trick.
I've added a blueish glow to his shoulderpad and weapon for now, as I think it looks really cool and it should match with blood type spells too IMO.
I agree, it looks cool!
The scythe swing animation might not be the best but I'm only a beginner when it comes to real animating so that's the best I can offer.
It will do the job just fine. It's not bad at all.
Oh and, is his standard attach with his spell hand -> ranged or with his scythe in meele?
If you are refering to the "weapon" attachment point (where orb effects go for example) it should be the scythe, not the hand.

You did the 'attack' animations with the non-armed hand, to make it feel like he is ranged attacker, just as it was requested.
If you find the time and desire to nevertheless add a couple of attack animations with the scythe (called 'alternate' perhaps? I can rename them if I wish), that would be appreciated.

If not, this is totally a finished model, done just as I requested. I am definitely more than pleased with the results.
Thank you. +rep and credit incoming in the next version!

Status
Not open for further replies.