• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Replicating the WoW "Corrupted Blood" Pandemic in a Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
In 2005, a pandemic swept through the world (of warcraft), caused by some unintended consequences of a transmissable damage over time ability. Somehow when players fled from the battle or something, they carried the infection to distant areas and transmitted it to characters who were never meant to be exposed. Apparently the spread of this disease was so life-like that someone even published an article in the Lancet about it. Cool stuff.

Anyway, I want to put something like this in a single-player campaign map. I want to create:
- a group of susceptibles (based on race) that can catch, transmit, and suffer damage over time from the disease.
- a group of non-susceptibles who cannot become infected or transmit the disease.
- a group of carriers who transmit the disease but are not adversely affected by it.
- AI that causes the uninfected to avoid the infected

To catch the disease you must be damaged by or spend a certain amount of time in proximity to a carrier or infected susceptible. I also want to bring back people who die from the disease as zombies - hostile members of the carrier class.

Is this possible to do with triggers and the Parasite ability? I've been toying with the ability but I can't get it to reliably transmit and I haven't even touched the AI. I do not know JASS, but if this wouldn't be too complex to implement with triggers only I would be willing to learn it. I just have no idea how to start. I don't need people to write the ability for me (unless they have a burning desire to do so) but any/all advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.