• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bomb that spawns a Disease Cloud on death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I am trying to make a Poison Bomb unit, that will release a Disease Cloud on Death, which I have been able to do (simply by giving it the Abomination Disease Cloud Ability), but for some reason it's there but it doesn't do anything.

I just see the cloud but units aren't infected or damaged.

The Cloud's targets are set to "Ground, Organic"

Does anyone know what my problem is?

Level 17
The targets are fine. You must be doing something else wrong.
If I were you I would do this like this:
When your unit dies, Create a dummy unit at its dying position with your modified disease cloud ability. I suppose you know how to make a dummy unit. (Just make a modelless, invulnerable ward or something)
Give the dummy an expiration timer equal to the length of time you want this cloud to exist.

Level 11
I have not modified the diease cloud beyond changing the text and those targets.

Yes I do know how to make a dummy unit, infact I am already using several in my map, but I don't see how that will help, it's the effect that Im having trouble with not getting it on there

Level 17
I can only say this:
I have just recreated your modified disease cloud (recreated = unchecked 2 target classifications ^^) and it worked. Which means that the ability works fine, you messed up something else.
I'm pretty sure you would have known it from the begining if your targets weren't organical for example, and other noob-problems like this so I won't give your the noob solutions.

Post your triggers, the ability is fine.

Level 11
There is no trigger.

There is a unit.
It has no collision sie and is a Ghost (meaning it has that ability).
It has that modified Disease Cloud ability.
Some of the units that are being effected have Tauren and Giant Classifications.

I can't think of anything else that might be pertinant at the moment.

Level 17
Well that's weird.. Well, I'm not sure how your thing works.
Post #1 makes me think that after YourUnit unit dies the corpse would start to rot and a disease cloud would affect the nearby unit. For this the best solution would be my suggested in Post #2.
Post #5 makes me think that a ghost appears with the disease cload ability instead of the dummy unit after YouUnit dies. Which should work perfectly.
Well, aside from the noob stuffs I have no idea what's the problem. It should just work. Period.

Level 3
What's your Disease Cloud ability damage? Mind posting a screenshot of the Object Editor with the custom Disease Cloud ability?

Offtopic: Wow, emperor_d3st, you post really fast do you? Just around one month + in this forum and you already have 500+ posts... What did you do? Do you live in this forum?

Level 12
isnt there an ability that spawns a unit after the unit with the ability dies?

Just checked it up in the editor. Try the Spawn Hydra ability, but im not sure if you can set a duration for those, else you can just use a trigger that is launched when these units enter the map, and then give them a experation timer :p

Level 17
Offtopic: Wow, emperor_d3st, you post really fast do you? Just around one month + in this forum and you already have 500+ posts... What did you do? Do you live in this forum?
I love THW because I learn a lot of new stuff from the posts and sometimes when helping someone I also learn things, so it's pure win.
The problem is.. Every time I want to work on my map I end up opening my internet browser and surf on THW... I have spent less than 25 hours on my map effective in the last 1 month because of this :p

Level 20
Show you trigger, if it isn't working.

It should be just Create dummy unit at the target of ability being cast, then wait 0.1 seconds and remove that unit. And dummy unit has that disease cloud ability. I once didn't get my spell working because I forgot "requirements", so the spell required an upgrade and it didn't work. ><

Level 11
Well that's weird.. Well, I'm not sure how your thing works.
Post #1 makes me think that after YourUnit unit dies the corpse would start to rot and a disease cloud would affect the nearby unit. For this the best solution would be my suggested in Post #2.
Post #5 makes me think that a ghost appears with the disease cload ability instead of the dummy unit after YouUnit dies. Which should work perfectly.
Well, aside from the noob stuffs I have no idea what's the problem. It should just work. Period.

Hmm okay though the Ghost thing is really just a side note cause this is a Gas Bomb it's suppose to be like the Goblin Land mine only that it isn't tripped and it releases gas on death instead of exploding.

It is basically the first one but I just don't see how your suggestion i post #2 will help because it's currently not affecting anyone...

I'm sorry if what I'm saying is kind of confusing

isnt there an ability that spawns a unit after the unit with the ability dies?

Just checked it up in the editor. Try the Spawn Hydra ability, but im not sure if you can set a duration for those, else you can just use a trigger that is launched when these units enter the map, and then give them a experation timer :p

I'm not having problems with getting the gas cloud there, I'm having problems with it affecting units that come in contact with it. I originally tried using a trigger to place a plague ward but I had no more ease with that... and there were other problems.

I will answer the other posts later I really have to go no cause I'm late

Level 9
Don't use ghost, it prevents units from getting damaged by spells like disease cloud (I think it stops immolation too, not sure). Instead, make a unit with no model (or a disease cloud model if the cloud doesn't show up) and give the unit the Locust ability (can't select/target/interact) and it should work.

Level 17
I haven't tried out the map, I will when it gets released, so no comments on that yet.

But the problem was this:
Buildings can't have that Poison Gas ability. Well they can, it just won't function.
The solution:
Base your High Tech Bio Weapon Poison Gas Mine Thingy on a unit, and not a building.
Case solved.

Level 11
Ah okay thanks :smile: hopefully it'll work...

I'd rep you but it says I have to spread some around first before repping you again sry :sad:

@ KingBob

That would have numerous other difficulties the most important of which being I want to builder to still be able to see it. In anycase I'm going to try emporer_d3st's idea first

EDIT: It works! :smile: it turns out it was both reasons Ghost did make it not work and so did it being a building.

Last edited:
Level 24
Ok, just use triggers.

Unit dies.
Unit of unit type (abomination)
Create unit (poison dummy)
Add 1 experation timer to unit (last created unit).

The poison dummy would have a poison ability. If your poison ability is not working delete it and remake it. If still not working you are a hopless nut case whom deserves to burn. (just kidding). If you really are having more troubles PM and I will make the skill for you (no credit required).

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.