• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Replay Seeker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Greetings Folks,

i am searching for Replay Seeker that is compatible with windows 10 x64 , and that is actually working with the latest patch (1.28.x) and simple camera plugin for it, can anyone help?
i would be grateful

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I assume this is a third party tool? In what way is it not compatible with Windows 10?

I am guessing it is broken as a result of replays being moved from the Program Files folder (meant to be read only) to the more appropriate My Documents folder. If there is source code you could try changing the hard coded path strings with the new paths of replays. Check if there is not a command line argument or configuration file that allows you to specify replay paths.

Level 1
This tool should help you to manipulate the warcraft 3 replay playback. for example You can change the speed of the replay from 1/32x to 31x or make it run “as fast as possible”. You can specify the position in the replay that you want to reach, and ReplaySeeker will quickly fast-forward replay to that position, pausing the replay when done and playing a sound (to notify you). Note that this works while Warcraft is minimized, which allows you to do something else during the process (like browsing the forums). and other features.

while there is a plugin for it called Simple Camera, A plugin that allows you to control the camera in Warcraft 3 without restrictions.

i have tried many versions of it, still it doesn't detect a replay.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I am guessing it manipulates the virtual memory of the Warcraft III process? In such a case you will need the source code and to update the code hook addresses to correspond with the newest compiles of Warcraft III. This is why such hacky tools are never really maintainable as each patch of Warcraft III will break them.

Level 1
actually, check the link and you will know what i am talking about... the problem is that i cannot detect replays whatever i do

Replay Seeker

and by the way, warcraft 3 patches doesn't affect this software, as it is a third-party tool and works outside of WC3. i just need that software to detect the replay, most claim that it is still working on windows 7, but i cannot make it work on windows 10 x64

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Replays are now saved in Documents/Warcraft III folder instead of the install folder so it cannot find them I am guessing. Additionally it must be modifying Warcraft III virtual memeory to remove limits and perform its other features, something that Windows 10 probably does not like (Virus like behaviour) and will break with patches (different executable structure).

Level 1
Replays are now saved in Documents/Warcraft III folder instead of the install folder so it cannot find them I am guessing. Additionally it must be modifying Warcraft III virtual memeory to remove limits and perform its other features, something that Windows 10 probably does not like (Virus like behaviour) and will break with patches (different executable structure).

ok, so for now i have reinstalled windows 7, and tried replay seeker again, not working. just a note that replay seeker is opening but cannot detect any replays. even though i have edited the cfg file several times, by changing war3 to War3, but i guess i need to do 1 more thing. as warcraft 3 runs in 32 bit, and i have a windows 7 64 bit, in process it shows War3.exe *32, so what i need to do is rechange the cfg file to the same and try again

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
just a note that replay seeker is opening but cannot detect any replays
Because WC3 now saves all replays to Documents/Warcraft III folder instead of the ProgramFile install directory. Replay Seeker probably only supports replays in the install directory.
though i have edited the cfg file several times, by changing war3 to War3
Windows file paths are case insensitive. The NTFS partition format is case sensitive, but Windows OS interfaces with it in a case insensitive way.
as warcraft 3 runs in 32 bit, and i have a windows 7 64 bit, in process it shows War3.exe *32, so what i need to do is rechange the cfg file to the same and try again
Will not make a difference. Only reasons it shows x86 or 32 next to the process name is to inform the user that it is running using WoW64 (Windows on Windows64) as opposed to using Windows directly.
blizzard dont give a ... about fans and their tools, say hello to new overlords.
Do not blame them, blame the author for not making an open source tool that someone else could fix after they retire.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf
Level 19
Blizzard sucks because they update their games, wut?

If the tool relies on a specific version of the game then that is a flaw in the tool, not the game.
Whether it is avoidable or not is a whole different question.

It's the tools that should be keeping up with Blizzard, not the other way around

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
suuure, like somebody could know back then that blizzard would try to kill wc3 with new patches. blame programmers for not doing everything opersourced, thats how u win..
Technically the tool is at end of life. Your grievances should be with its author for not having a longer program life cycle. Open sourcing a tool is a great way to extend its program life cycle well beyond what you may be capable of.

it's up to company to keep up with key tools provided by community. ignoring those is the yet another reason why blizzard sucks.
If you read their terms of use you will notice that they do not support or particularly care about third party software at all. Tool programmers are well aware that this is the case, or at least should be if they are reasonably capable. Especially tools that interface directly with the game are highly prone to breaking between versions and require constant updating. This is largely why JNGP is slowly dying as no one updates how it interfaces with WorldEdit anymore.

Custom maps are at least vaguely part of WC3 so Blizzard does try its best to preserve compatibility with them. However third party programs are not, and some which interface with WC3 are even technically illegal in some countries.

Last edited:
Level 2
Hi guys! I`ve fixed ReplaySeeker for myself
Additionally i`ve fixed SimpleCamera.
This is not about replays location af someone said here.

This program actually hacks Warcraft 3 memory and writes own data; It depends of warcraft 3 version;
I`ll have to find what base memory blocks to find and where are located related memory addreses on each patch;
It works from at least 1.28.2 to 1.28.5; Should re-test at every patch

Are you guys interested?:pPP I am at the work now, i can upload it when i`ll come home

Btw, i`ve disabled 'turbo' function, because i did not finish fixing this feature; But you can run Warcraft III replay viewer using '-swtnl' parameter. I suppose it to be same as 'turbo'
Also autorestarting replay (if current time > desired) does not work in my current version, cause i failed at emulating click on that 'restart button'.
Everything rest works! For me, speed ups for ~34 times; And simple camera works, here is some screenshot of it:
epxoPOONRZU.jpg

Last edited:
Level 2
Well, i just want to see the affection of such news :D

I`ll probably use GitHub. Will do it tonight, when i`ll beautify some ugly code parts

Level 2
Ok, so i made some initial commit;
GitHub - StarveTheEgo/ReplaySeeker: Decompilled sources of ReplaySeeker
Currently, this is draft of repository, i will be fixing it from time to time; I am busy a bit atm
Will add instructions, comments and such;
Most of code is 'as-is' after decompiling;
Also will create repo for SimpleCamera tonight.

I run this project in VS2010 C#.
master branch is for 1.28.2-1.28.5
legacy branch has original ReplaySeeker's offsets

Last edited:
Level 2
Cant insert second link for some reason
Here is SimpleCamera repo:
GitHub - StarveTheEgo/SimpleCamera

I will create new formalized thread for all this stuff in next weekend.

UPD: attached binaries for windows x86x64 :)
Archive password is: twitch.tv/alone_monax
There are things containing 'Deer' tho. You can build your own binaries and remove it :D It was just for fun. I mean, that deering.

Repos will probably stay like this untill next weekend too;
I want to create movies in weekdays so much :D

In order to make simplecamera work, make sure that your warcraft 3 replay is loaded; Only after this run ReplaySeeker and doubleclick on that 'Deer camera'
I will post more detailed guide tomorrow about this and some else things.

Attachments

• ReplaySeekerRemaster.zip
    143.2 KB · Views: 770
Last edited:
Level 2
Btw, i`ve just noticed that current SimpleCamera is outdated. I will use latest version and upload to repo in this week. It has more features and allows not to hardcode some things

Level 2
2 more plugins:

1.) Replay Hotkeys. Was not even testing it, but GUI works;
2.) Simple Camera v2 BETA 4. I`ve fixed some stuff, so it works with versions from 1.26a (you need original replayseeker here tho) to 1.28.5 (with my replayseeker edition), this is test version 'to play' with it. I mean, authors made it work with all versions untill 1.26a. Then i fixed some and extended support to 1.28.5.
I will fix bugs soon; For example, turning plugin off does not work, so you have to navigate only with plugin hotkeys atm. I`ve tried to fix it, but i`m too sleepy already.
You can play using F1 (default first person view) and walking around the map using arrows and mouse. It definitely works now;

Btw, delete/move somewhere file 'simplecamera.dll' in 'plugins' directory (if you have it) in case you want to test SimpleCamera2 to avoid conflicts;

There are nice feature called 'recording' so you can record some scenes then just switch these

Attachments

• Plugins.zip
    38.2 KB · Views: 300
Level 2
We`ve discovered that ReplaySeeker does not work (does not detect replays) for some users with different Warcraft 3 languages
So i`m going to rewrite memory scanner for ReplaySeeker to make it work. + i will merge support of 1.26, 1.27 and 1.28+ versions

I got lack of experience in C# (because i am web-dev) but the more i work with it the better code i do here.

I would be happy if you guys will test it on your machines. In 'repseek.cfg' (run once and close replayseeker, if you do not have this file) change that ProcessName=war3 to desired warcraft 3 process name. For my 1.28.5 this is 'Warcraft III'. For older versions it is war3 (or also War3)

here is short guide for ReplaySeeker (run with Administrator privileges):
1. Be sure that ReplaySeeker and Warcraft 3 is not running yet.
2. Run your warcraft replay. In case you want to burn your CPU, use -swtnl parameter for more seeking speed improvement.
I do not use this parameter, because it is still fine without it.
3. Run ReplaySeeker now (after your replay loading) and wait untill status will be 'Found a replay!'
4. You will see 3 sliders.
First one stands for changing replay speed (from 1/32x to 32x)
Second one shows current replay time
Third one is most important for us. Here you should set the desired time (by changing the slider or typing replay time in text box below)
5. (temporary problem) If your current replay time is greater than desired time, then you have to click 'restart replay' button in warcraft 3. I did not implement autoclicking it;
5. Click on 'synchronize!' and wait. It will be faster than 8x; I suggest you to close some unnecessary programs while seeking to make it more fast. Also i recommend you to minimize warcraft3, so it wont be rendered everytime, so it will be faster too.
6. Wait for the sound signal :) Or just untill these two sliders will have like same value.​

Last edited:
Level 2
Some little changelog;
+ beta version in attachment; (archive password is same: twitch.tv/alone_monax )
'Legacy' stands for 1.26a. This is temporary, i am learning c# and implementing new stuff; I`ll add more versions to select tomorrow;

Changelog:
Beta version:
- added progressbar for memory scanning progress
- added more information into main window
- started adding multiversioning support (currently supports 1.26a and 1.28+);
- SimpleCamera is working too now
- Removed my tests from code
- Disabled 'Turbo' checkbox
- Fixed few crashes and bugs
- Initial commit
- ReplaySeeker is working now

Attachments

• ReplaySeekerV2beta.zip
    46.3 KB · Views: 490
Level 2
Sad thing that so many ppl (across the whole internet that i`ve seen while i was searching for replayseeker too) wanted this tool but now, when i`ve adapted it for newest Warcraft III versions, it got 0 downloads :S
I really need more testers than we`ve got atm (3 testers, srsly?) to make it work for every Warcraft 3 version and edition, for most PCs having Windows... And all what i want from you is just to run it and report here - does it work or no. (Including CPU Architecrute (x86/x64), Windows version, Warcraft 3 version and Warcraft 3 language). If it does not work, i also would like to get additional info (what do you see, what have you tried and so on.)

Level 2
So, this one should work on 1.27a right?
No, it should not work on 1.27a. I will implement 1.27a support (along with other known versions) tonight. I am most of time at the work and cannot implement everything i want in one day.

This one (beta) should work for 1.26.[X] and 1.28.[X] versions. For official ones it does. No idea about modded/hacked Warcraft III builds.

Last edited:
Level 2
Uploaded new version to test.
- Added multiple versions support, ability to choice (1.26, 1.27, 1.28 are available now and should work)
- Implemented simple version of custom offsets setting (run ReplaySeeker once and look in the repseek.cfg file)

Also i`ve just rebuild SimpleCamera2 (plugins.zip, if you want to use it - extract in same directory with ReplaySeeker) because it was crashing ReplaySeeker for some reason. Now it does not, but if it will happen - play with replayseeker without SimpleCamera by removing SimpleCamera2.dll from Plugins directory (in case you extracted plugins too)

Archive password is same: twitch.tv/alone_monax

Test this version, please.

Should be intuitively clear how to use it. I have no time to write guides in weekdays, i`ll do it in weekend. Also i`ll refactor code in weekend if i will have time.

Attachments

• plugins.zip
    27.5 KB · Views: 204
  • ReplaySeekerV2Beta.zip
    47.3 KB · Views: 230
Level 2
I`ve updated SimpleCamera. Implemented toggling plugin active feature, fixed some bugs. Report about any crashes now :)

Attachments

• Plugins.zip
    27.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Level 2
I am stuck at some problems, will finish new version someday;
It supports (will support):
- Turbo mode (affects 1.26 and 1.27 for sure; investigating 1.28)
- Version autodetect (simple implementation)
- Reworked 'rescan' button -> more automatic processes

Tasks left for this version:
- Hide chat feature
- Disable sounds / rendering features (optional; most likely i will defer it for next version)
- Make units skills visible feature (probably will defer too)
- Fixes with threads handling (thats where i`m stuck, working on it at free time)

No1 is interested anyway; I`m just letting here some dev notes for somelike history.
Also through many half-dead sites and some alive people i`ve found contact with Danat (original author). He nicely allowed me (and everyone else) to continue the project as open-source (as i`m currently doing). Also he explained me about Turbo mode, so i understand what it was standing for. Thanks, Danat! :)

Level 2
Still beta:
  • Added turbo mode support for known versions (not sure about 1.28, cannot make a good test for it; investigating)
  • Changed some calls to thread-safe ones
  • Added simple version 'autodetect'
  • Added known process names list, so no need to specify it anymore (in most cases)
  • No need to restart ReplaySeeker for another replay/warcraft version anymore.
  • Reworked 'rescan' button: No more needed to click it to restart scan process. It will always do scan until it finds replay. There are 'stop scan' button to stop it and get able to select another version if it is needed.
Important note: if you have old 'repseek.cfg' (from previous versions) - remove it, please.
No more archive passwords btw.

Attachments

• Plugins.zip
    27.6 KB · Views: 260
  • ReplaySeekerV2Beta.zip
    49.2 KB · Views: 446
Level 2
Btw, there is removed support of 1.28.2, so "1.28" version works only for latest 1.28.X atm (1.28.5)

For 1.28.2 you need to change something in file, ask me if you need :p

upd: for correct working for 1.28 versions, you should run Warcraft in -windowed or -nativefullscreen modes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.