• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Replacing the default Warcraft background ingame music with custom music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I was wondering if there was a way to replace the default background music. Not play another sound over but use custom soundfiles for the background music.

Anything help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Level 3
well no thats not what i meant. That would play the sound file once and it wouldnt stop the default background music. Im talking about replacing the background music with my sound files so it constantly plays in the background.

Level 3
You might try importing your own music file and then set the path to override the path of the default music that is going to be played.

You need to know which music is being played because every background music differs from different races.

I have never tried this before. Theoretically it might work, but practically, you need to test it yourself.

Level 3
I was thinking about it but i had my doubts since each race has 3 - 4 different background sounds. It might work but you could see the complications.

Level 3
I was thinking about it but i had my doubts since each race has 3 - 4 different background sounds. It might work but you could see the complications.

I know, Let Song 1 be your main song, and the replace the rest of the songs with a dummy file with 0 kb. it might work...

Level 3
allright but im gonna have to wait. Master5800 is working on the map atm so im gonna wait till he gets it back to me. I'll let you know if it works though. thanks for the help.

Level 17
I would like to warn you that a music file bites out a huge chunk of filesize from your map and you can't host maps larger than 4 MB. So unless your map is singleplayer, don't even think about this and if your map is singleplayer I'm sure players would prefer to download a map without custom music but 30 MB smaller.

Level 3
yea i know i'll keep that in mind :]

Wouldnt i be able to delete some of the soundfiles already ingame to save space?

Level 17
No, you see, almost every data Warcraft 3 uses comes from the files the game installed to your hard drive (your winchester). So to be simple, your map file only contains the stuff you imported (imported models, icons, images, sounds, music, etc) and triggers and some other crucial map data.

Level 17
Depends on the song's format, length and bitrate.
A song with an optimal format and shorter length shouldn't take too much space.
For example: Blizzard's official Human1 song takes up 3.80 MB and is 4:33 minutes long. I believe you can degrade the music's quality a little to save filesize.

I would look up a music importing tutorial but I'm in a hurry at the moment so use google/search button, whatever.

Level 3
not its allright i know how to import it and replace the sound files

Thanks guys you've all been a great help :]

Status
Not open for further replies.