• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Replacing files in map/campaign using external soft.

Nyctaeus

Hosted Project: W3E
Level 18
I already googled a lot and asked on Discord, and people told me pretty much "naaah"... But maybe this place is being roamed by people who knows some arcane tricks.

I'm looking for a way to replace some files in my campaign file. Specifically over a 300 sound files that already exist in the campaign file with all paths written, but I equalized loudness of all of them. Something that slipped under my scope during creation of all the sound files.

Our campaign file is pretty big, and WE is already pretty laggy at every import, so what I obviously want to avoid is manually replacing each one via Import Manager.

So I tried using MPQ editors for this. Specifically Ladik's as it's the one that seems to be the most recommended, still maintained, and the only one actually working on my end. But the game does not see modified campaign file, and WE fails to open it.

Can this be done somehow? If not, then I'll stick to replacing the most unbalanced ones manually.

Nyctaeus

Hosted Project: W3E
Level 18
Looks like after 2 days of trial and error, I have it. Tested on 1.31.

Ladik's MPQ editor seems to be corrupting the w3n files, but the other pieces of MPQ editing software can apparently fix it... And MPQMaster can open corrupted file, and overwrite some data, so both game and WE can read it. Unfortunately majority of functions of MPQMaster does not work on my end, but any change of the archive [like creating empty folder] causes format data of the archive to be overwriten... And it works back.

Or something like that. I'm completely dumb when it comes to coding, file formats and stuff. But this way or another, I figured it out.

Not the cleanest workflow in the universe, and perhaps some coder can write dedicated tool for fixing the files back.