• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Replace Unit (Hero) and take Attributes along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi,
completely new here. Next to no experience, (dabbled in the editor last maybe 10 Years ago).

Problem:
I want to "upgrade" a hero in one of my Maps in that fashion, that his Model keeps changing to other ones whe i trigger it through completed Quests, or with picking up a spezific items (villager>militia>Soldier>and so on).
It should however keep his stats, abilities, experience and so on.
(i can do with other units i create with the same abilities but they need to have been "activatet" the same way the old unit was)

Is there some "easy" way to do that. Im not shure if i can still learn things like Jass for this sole purpose.
(if all that is not possible, is there a way for me just to get the lvl of the replaced Unit and apply it to the new one?)

Good day to you all!
dhakar

ps: sry for the english... not a native speaker...

A easy way to transform an hero is Bearform, if you added Abilities by Triggers you need to make them PERMANENT.

Bearform transforms the Unit into the Normalform if it is removed, even if not transformed. -> Setup a Bearform in which the Normalform is the Form you want to morph into and add it to your Hero than remove it again, your Hero will now be morphed.

Level 1
Im doing something wrong...
I just took out the adept-training-condition of the druids, started the game with a druid in play, clicked, and he transformed into a bear. So far so good...
Then just for the fun of it i changed the Bearform abilitiy to: Alternate Form: Wisp (instead of Bear)
I started the Game and at the End of the transform-sequence he turned into a.... Druid :(
(but strangedly enough he had all wisp abilities till i transformed him "back")

Edit:
And when i change bearform to: normal Form: Wisp and alternet stays as Bear, the druid trasforms into a baer, and then again to a druid...

Last edited:
Level 1
Ok i got it!
I suppose it was just bearform that didnt work, because its no hero ability. Tried it with metamorphosis (illidan) and a few triggers and now i have a nice little upgrade-chain where xp and abilitypoints spend are all kept throughout! Thx!

Level 39
You can make any ability into a hero ability by setting "Data - Hero Ability" to be true (it's an option in the OE for all abilities). Metamorphosis will always show that blue bar on the hero UI, so unless you don't care about that I'd try the bearform. You could also use the ability Chaos (how orcs become fel orcs in the campaigns) to transform your units-- it's a passive ability that transforms immediately when you add it to the unit (keeping all stats and items), which is effectively the same as Tasyen's bearform trick, but actually on an ability that was designed to transform one unit type into another permanently.

Level 8
Just to add to what @Pyrogasm said about the Chaos ability, it has an odd bug which is outlined in The Warcraft III Ability Guide:
PitzerMike said:
Sca1 (Chaos): Adding a chaos ability to a unit transforms it into the unit type specified in the target unit id field of the ability. This can be used to change any aspect like the proper name or the model of a unit in the game or simply in combination with channel to implement morphing spells. Don't forget to remove the tech requirements from custom chaos abilities. One problem of Chaos is that it adds the morphed unit's current armor, damage, health and mana bonus received from items, auras and strength, agility, intelligence to the stats of the resulting unit. That means it's not a very good idea to morph heroes using chaos until Blizzard fixes those bugs. Ordinary units can't be affected by items and hero stats, so the only problem are buffs received from auras. Those buffs can easily be removed before the conversion and are automatically added again afterwards so that's not a real issue.

As for the Bearform method mentioned by @Tasyen, it's all here in this thread: Hero Passive Transformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.