• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Replace Attack and Ability Sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I want to replace the sound of the Riflemen attack, how do I do this?

I also want to add a sound to a custom ability when used. It was made with complicated triggers (not by me) so I assume it might be tricky do add a sound to it.

plz help thanx

Level 28
1 - I believe you can replace the Rifleman attack sound via the Sound Editor by clicking "Replace Internal Sound" (Not sure though)

2 - You can use an event like "A unit starts the effect of an ability" then "Sound - Play Sound"

Level 11
1 - I believe you can replace the Rifleman attack sound via the Sound Editor by clicking "Replace Internal Sound" (Not sure though)
Yes, this would work. If I remember correctly, it requires a .wav mono (not stereo) audio file. :)
You will find Rifleman attack sounds in Sound Editor (press F5 to open it), under Units\Human\Rifleman. There are two sounds, RiflemanAttack1.wav and RiflemanAttack2.wav. These are the two sounds you can replace with whatever you like.

I also want to add a sound to a custom ability when used. It was made with complicated triggers (not by me) so I assume it might be tricky do add a sound to it.
Can you be more specific about this spell? Do you want to add a new sound when that spell is used, or do you want to replace the existing sound of that spell? Do you know what ability it is based on? Or can you provide a link to where you found it, so we can have a look and figure it out? Thanks :)

Level 7
Warseeker
Sieben

Thanks for the quick reply.

1. I'll try replacing Riflemen when I have time.

2. The ability is called Cavalry Attack, the triggers are in CAVALRY ATTACK FOLDER and TO DETERMINE ANIMATION INDEX (NOT NECCESSARY)

Here's my mod to download

Attachments

• (8)GardenOfWar modded.w3x
    7.9 MB · Views: 47
Level 11
It seems the sound played when Cavalry Attack is used comes from the special effect Abilities\Spells\Human\FlakCannons\FlakTarget.mdl. This special effect is used to create the dust when units are moving, but it automatically plays a sound (that sound is attached to the special effect model). What you can do is replace the sound FlakCannon.wav (located in Abilities\Spells\Human\FlakCannons\) by using the same procedure as Warseeker told you about (in sound editor, right-click on the sound file and hit "Replace Internal Sound").
If you do this, be aware that that sound will be played every time FlakCannons special effect is used: therefore, when a Flying Machine uses it, it will play your custom sound instead of the regular sound. It is possible to bypass that issue, if you really need the Flak Cannons ability: you may edit the model FlakTarget.mdl and change its sound, then import it again and use it either for your custom ability or for the Flak Cannons ability.

Level 7
Sieben

Hey thanks! it's done. I rather not replace anything but unfortunately sound modding in WC3 is terrible. I don't really need the Flak Cannons ability and have never replaced sound in a model but if I feel the need I'll look into to it.

Thanks again.

Level 20
By the way, remember you can use mp3 format instead of wav, just rename your file adding ".wav" as extension in the import manager and the game will be minded. It'll greatly reduce the file size of your map if you plan on using many sounds.

Level 11
By the way, remember you can use mp3 format instead of wav, just rename your file adding ".wav" as extension in the import manager and the game will be minded. It'll greatly reduce the file size of your map if you plan on using many sounds.
I thought .mp3 was used for music only. So .wav would work for any type of sound?

Level 12
Yup that's a pretty neat trick, even though sounds sometimes still don't play properly if they are stereo and such. Wish sound editing was a bit less clunky :/
There are quite a few Free sound & noise editors out there, Wave Editor... and the other ones which names I do not remember :| Just edit the sound to what you need with one of those and then put it back in War3. Some of the free ones even provide semi-pro to pro level settings, edits & quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.