• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rendering MDX/MDL in OpenGL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Has anyone made a MDX/MDL renderer for OpenGL? I've seen GhostWolf's Hive viewer but if he hasn't made it public, I doubt he will anytime soon. I've experimented with converting MDX/MDL to other formats, but if you look at my other posts, no exporters support animations (besides 3DS Max plugins, which I do not own)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I've seen GhostWolf's Hive viewer but if he hasn't made it public
I could swear there are no compiled java script files... Last I checked all you needed to do was download the script files and there was your source code. Maybe he is now using some kind of advanced DRM but for some reason I doubt that.

I've experimented with converting MDX/MDL to other formats, but if you look at my other posts, no exporters support animations (besides 3DS Max plugins, which I do not own)
Somewhere on this site there is a detailed file specification for all structures in the file.

Level 29
Yeah sorry, I deleted that github repository since I did a big re-write of the code, I'll make a new one soon.

As a side note, should I add hints of how to handle MDX files the same as I did in the M3 specs?

Excuse me for this late reply, I never looked at this forum.

I could swear there are no compiled java script files... Last I checked all you needed to do was download the script files and there was your source code. Maybe he is now using some kind of advanced DRM but for some reason I doubt that.

It's minified with Google Closure + my own GLSL minifier, not much of a chance of reading it :p

Level 19
Yeah sorry, I deleted that github repository since I did a big re-write of the code, I'll make a new one soon.

As a side note, should I add hints of how to handle MDX files the same as I did in the M3 specs?

Excuse me for this late reply, I never looked at this forum.

It's minified with Google Closure + my own GLSL minifier, not much of a chance of reading it :p

Lol I'm in no rush.. just playing with OpenGL as a hobby (also relatively new)

What I have issues with is the fact that your code is written in JavaScript, for the first part.. (I'm either in C++ or Java) and second that the source code on the model viewer gets whtespace removed and is near impossible to read

Level 29
It is compressed so it will be as small as possible (currently fits under 100KB for both viewers together) just to reduce bandwidth.
I'll put the code I work with on github soon.
I warn you though, I have close to zero comments in my code...

As to the JS part, it's still OpenGL. While WebGL has some things written in a more JS-oriented way, essentially it's the same code as you'd make in C++ or any other language.

Status
Not open for further replies.