• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Recovering a MPQ Listfile, Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So, Im sitting here with a MPQ file, containing around 2000 files. The problem is they are all unidentified. Im currently using MPQRecover, MPQMaster and RMPQex, the last one was giving most success leaving only around 600 files unidentified.
So what Im asking is, does anyone have a program or listfile that can help me identify the last ones?
The listfiles im currently using to help me identify is the one from MPQMaster as well as the ones from Blizz' games, including SC2.

Level 2
Also, I know it is possible to unlock the whole MPQ, Mynameislol did so back in 2008, however he didn't describe how.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is impossible to recover MPQ listfiles. The hashing process used is unidirectional which means it is irriversable. Multiple strings will eventually hash to the same place in an MPQ but the probability is extreemly low and most of those will be garbage.

However you can try guessing what names are in an mpq and that is currently how most restorers work. For example if the MPQ is a warcraft 3 map then it is garunteed to have a map data, a doodad data and a shadow data file and all these have standard names. Thus the logic is the file you get back for requesting a standard file name you know will be in an MPQ will be that file and thus that file must be in the listfile.

As there is a large list of standard filenames that games like diablo II, starcraft 1 and 2 and warcraft 3 uses, you can query them. If they return no file then logically it does not exist in the mpq archive so is not part of the contense.

How the restorers work is by reading file contense like object data etc and then checking all those paths mentioned in them. It will pick up most custom imported data that way.

In the end you are better off not using a listfile, as MPQ archives are hashfiles and thus do not need names to work.

Level 2
Thanks for the answer.
I guess I just have to be patient and rename the files by hand. Now my only problem is that the creator decided to make all potraits as .gif styled 2d animations. It gives a lot of work, but it seems it cant be helped.
By the way, does anyone know what the .xxx files are? Got around 200 of them in the MPQ, and I dont know what they do. Tried to google it, appears to be an "Embroidery Design File", however I have absolutly no idea what it is.

Level 2
So, is there any way to identify the files or just their extensions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.