• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Recolor animated model from the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey all

I am super new to this, but I promise I've done all I can to find the help I'm seeking and it just isn't working. So my last effort will be to ask here in hopes that someone can help me.

I am making different auras, and I'll be using the Big Bad Voodoo model animation to indicate they are active (Abilities\Spells\Orc\Voodoo\VoodooAura.mdl).

Ultimately, I want to use it as is (red) and have a version in blue, green and yellow (think Brilliance Aura).

How do I go about achieving this?

I am using the World Editor from 1.31.1.

Edit: attached a screensnip of the model in question.

Attachments

• Modelinquestion.PNG
    Modelinquestion.PNG
    110.2 KB · Views: 15
Level 21
I can think of a few ways to go about this:

a. you can learn how to recolor models.

b. you can find appropriate models in the model section/game files (for instance
VoodooAura
)
c. you can find someone who is good at modeling to do this for you. should be easy for them... check out the requests section, and the simple edit resources thread there....

good luck!

Last edited:
Level 4
Thanks for your answer. I was hoping for something more concise in your a. answer.

In the meantime I have learned how to recolor models as long as they are not using textures. Turns out this one is using a texture, so I don't know how to recolor it...

Level 6
If you are using Mago's Editor (War3ModelEditor) to edit models you can look at the Node Manager under "Windows". In that menu look for any Nodes with an arrow symbol (it could be blue or red sometimes, but generally they will be blue). They mean that this node is responsible for a particle effect. You will see 3 boxes with colors if you double-click the node. Changing those colors will alter the colors of the effects, this is how I create variations like White Blinks and so. But be aware that not all models work like this. Some models use textures that are not white by default, so recoloring them renders you no results. Test yourself and you will understand what works and what doesn't.

For models with colored textures, you need to export that texture, recolor it in another tool (mine is PhotoFiltre), then reimport it into Mago's and set it to the right spot. Then you will import both your texture and your effect into World Editor. Mind the path of your texture in Mago's, you will use the same path in World Editor's Asset Manager.

I've attached a pic of how much you can change in Voodoo Aura without resorting to editing textures. (Changing to yellow)

Attachments

• voodoo.png
    voodoo.png
    1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.