• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Real-time dialog boxes. Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the type of dialog box I'm talking about is not the standard dialog of WarCraft 3. You now the kind shown when you lose.

No. I'm wondering if it is possible to create something like this:
29-slam-055.jpg

A dialog system which won't pause the game completely and is able to show dialog above, or near, the speaker.

Have you tried it with floating texts above unit? Or is the box very important for you?

Hehe IcemanBo, now give me a little credit :p
Of course I could simply use floating text but yeah, the box (or something the like) is what I am looking for.
Floating text looks sloppy as dialog on it's own. I would like it to be more organized.

Images maybe? I can't find any tutorials on them besides this from '06:

http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=81637

Hmm yeah. That's an idea.
I just see two problems with that method.

1. Objects and units will "block" the images no? I mean units will always appear walking upon the image.

2. The images follows the terrain. No problem if the camera is pointed 90 degree directly at the ground. But when it gets angled the image will get out of it's square shape.

I'm almost sure I recall watching a youtube video of what I am asking, but I can't find it.

Open the image in Model Editor and save it with .mdx at the end. Then rotate it the way you want. Change the material filter mode to something like Blend, and make sure you uncheck unshaded and unfogged in that same material window unless you want it to always be seen in darkened areas of your map. Mdx Pather lets you pick the path you want for the skin/image which can either be BLP or TGA format in your map.

Full credits go to Tickles for figuring this method out, it is exactly what you want because from the picture that isn't your ordinary dialog box. You make your own box through textures then convert it to a model then import it.

Here is an example so yeah it is possible

Status
Not open for further replies.