• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reading .w3u files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Does anyone know of any program which can read the .w3u files and making sense out of them other than this (word):
3b1b6ed4_w3uread.jpg

Any idea how to read or what it's encoded in?

Thanks. :)

Each 'uxxx' part is the rawcode of the object editor field and then immediately afterward is the data for it. For example:
ua1m Abilities\Weapons\RocketMissile\RocketMissile.mdl

TRIGSTR_ are all located in the .wts file (the map's string table) of the map's MPQ. You can either open it in that or you can also just view them specifically in game by doing something like call BJDebugMsg(GetLocalizedString("TRIGSTR_158")). (GetLocalizedString might not be necessary, I don't remember)

That is the Attack 1 - Missile model. Other fields follow the same manner. However, I believe some of the data is encrypted and therefore can't really be made out.

However, I'm not sure why you would need to decipher the .w3u, unless you are trying to view a protected map or something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.