• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Random Assigning Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey guys,
So my friend and I are working on a Risk style map and I'm having some very basic trigger problems. I tried searching through the threads before so hopefully someone hasn't asked this already, but if someone has just refer me to it, thanks.

I'm trying to make it so that at the beginning of the match, the cities are randomly assigned to the players equally.

So far my efforts have included:
1. Putting all the cities into a variable
2. Randomly picking a number out of those cities (total cities/total players) and then assigning those cities to a player and then removing those cities from the variable.
3. Repeat step 2 for all the players if they are playing.

For some reason, it get a sloppy number of cities and have some left over for neutral hostile, which is not what i want.

If any of you could help that would be great!
Thanks!

Level 2
So I try to use a trigger with arithmetic to figure out how many cities to give to each player playing (total cities/total players). The problem I think is when it doesn't divide evenly I think it just leaves some out. For example if I have an odd number of cities and an even number of players, it leaves one out.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas on how to do a randomly distributing trigger for cities. :/

Level 9
just let it like it is or loop through the cities and give city 1 to player 1, city 2 to player 2 and so on....so every city is set to player.

Level 2
just let it like it is or loop through the cities and give city 1 to player 1, city 2 to player 2 and so on....so every city is set to player.

So that wouldn't assign a building to a player who is not playing? Like say we have 6 players, when it gets to 'assign building 7 to player 7' would it just skip that and loop back to player 1?

Level 2
This is what i have so far, trying to follow your instructions.

Assign

Events

Time - Elapsed game time is 0.60 seconds

Conditions

(Execution count of (This trigger)) Less than or equal to 7

Actions

If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)

If - Conditions

(Player 5 (Yellow) slot status) Equal to Is playing

Then - Actions

Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Random 1 units from Castles) and do (Actions)

Loop - Actions

Unit - Change ownership of (Picked unit) to Player 5 (Yellow) and Change color

Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Last created unit group) and do (Unit Group - Remove (Picked unit) from Castles)

Else - Actions

Do nothing
Trigger - Run (This trigger) (checking conditions)

So i have that trigger for player 5, and I have 4 more actions like it for each respective player below 5. For some reason, it gives player 2 only 1 castle, and player 1 4 castles, even if there are 5 players playing. Any ideas? :/

Level 9
here that should do the job.

• Set Cities
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.00 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Do Multiple ActionsFor each (Integer TempInteger) from 1 to 200, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set TempInt = (TempInt + 1)
            • Multiple FunctionsIf (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
              • 'IF'-Conditions
                • TempInt (>=) 13
              • 'THEN'-Actions
                • Set TempInt = (TempInt + 1)
              • 'ELSE'-Actions
                • Set TempInt = 1
            • Do Multiple ActionsFor each (Integer TempINT) from TempInt to 12, do (Actions)
              • Loop - Actions
                • Multiple FunctionsIf (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                  • 'IF'-Conditions
                    • ((Player(TempInt)) slot status) (==) Playing
                    • ((Player(TempInt)) controller) (==) User
                  • 'THEN'-Actions
                    • Unit - Change ownership of YourCityArray[TempInteger] to (Player(TempInt)) and Change Color
                    • Set TempInt = TempINT
                    • Set TempINT = 13
                  • 'ELSE'-Actions
                      • 'IF'-Conditions
                        • TempINT Gleich (==) 12
                        • (Owner of YourCity[TempInteger]) (==) Neutral Passive
                      • 'THEN'-Aktionen
                        • Do Multiple ActionsFor each (Integer TempINTEGER) from 1 to 12, do (Actions)
                          • Loop - Actions
                              • 'IF'-Conditions
                                • ((Player(TempInt)) slot status) Gleich (==) Playing
                                • ((Player(TempInt)) controller) Gleich (==) User
                              • 'THEN'-Actions
                                • Unit - Change ownership of YourCityArray[TempInteger] to (Player(TempInt)) and Change Color
                                • Set TempInt = TempINT
                              • 'ELSE'-Actions
                      • 'ELSE'-Actions
you need 4 different integer variables (or 1 array integer). the trigger itself loops through your city array (here i used 200 as max value for the array...change it to your max city array value) and then loops through the players from the last one who got a city up to the max number(if you have less than 12 players change each 12 in the trigger to your max player number).

(its not tested so if its not working ill rework it)

Level 2
Thank you for the response. I did my best to put those actions into a 'test' map with only 5 cities. I think I may have put things in erroneously but I can't figure out where. So I am posting this test map here and was hoping you could take a look a the trigger, it is under 'assign.'

Attachments

• Risk Test1.1.w3x
    18.2 KB · Views: 39
Level 2
Thanks! This works great! Now I just need to transfer that trigger into my real map haha. Thanks so much! I'll let you know if I need anything else!

Status
Not open for further replies.