• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Raising the Terrain Height Beyond its Limit in 2023

Level 6
Hello!

This particular question has already been answered in the past directly and solutions given with tutorials... for more than 10 years ago. In that time, we've been through the reforging of the entire game. Has anything changed regarding this particular matter of increasing the terrain height limit? Or do we still need to edit the MiscData.txt file for this change to happen? And if that is the case, where do we put the txt. file as the entire directory of warcraft III has been altered.

What I also want to know and make sure of is: if I were to create a map that have these limits changed, does this affect the accessibility to other people? Can other people open this map and expect the breached limits to still be contained on their end? I'd want these projects shared with the community and I wouldn't want to realize at roads end that people can't access it or have the height reset to default if I were to make use of these changes.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I think the Reforged editor has removed the terrain height limit, or at least added a setting to remove the limit.

What I also want to know and make sure of is: if I were to create a map that have these limits changed, does this affect the accessibility to other people?
The limit is entirely imposed by World Editor. Warcraft III will always load such maps just fine.
Can other people open this map and expect the breached limits to still be contained on their end?
The map will load and save fine. However, if World Editor is running with those limits then editing the terrain that violates those limits might be difficult or cause the terrain to be altered to comply with the limits.
I'd want these projects shared with the community and I wouldn't want to realize at roads end that people can't access it or have the height reset to default if I were to make use of these changes.
I would not worry too much about it. In worst case the person editing the map might need to go out their way a little like you had to in order to edit the affected parts of the terrain. The rest of the map can be edited fine regardless.

Level 6
Glad to hear that sharing such an altered map would pose little no issues, that eases my worries.

Now of course I do need to actually find this setting to remove these terrain height limits because so far I'm not seeing such an option inside the world editor. There clearly is a limit to how far you can raise the terrain so I would assume this 'setting' still lingers somewhere. I've switched between both SD and HD and both versions seem to be imposed with this terrain height limit (not that I would ever use the HD version even if it didn't).

Making use of the MiscData.txt seems to not work either. It's been stated to place this altered txt document inside a 'UI' folder and I've done so across many Warcraft III folders to no avail. I assume it's an outdated method as of today?

Level 6
WC3ScrnShot_101323_220058_000.png

That does not seem right lol

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Surprisingly that worked out. However it seems the results within the editor are glitchy. After reaching a certain height it just sinks into the floor glitching out the raster along with it
Welcome to numeric overflow.

As the integers are two's compliment signed, a positive turns into a negative at the wrap around. You raised the terrain so high it overflowed to become the lowest height possible. You could keep raising this and it will eventually overflow again at the highest height possible to again become the lowest height possible.

If you are using the local file to override maximum terrain height, consider setting the limit to just before the overflow number so you plateau out at as good as maximum height rather than overflowing. Otherwise carefully choose a height range you want to operate within that has a buffer with the maximum height to avoid overflow.

Level 6
Right. So basically, from what I can understand, there is no 'unlimited' option that can reach for the skies - instead it just keeps on overflowing.

The height addition this txt document added hasn't really made a difference - seemingly what we can do with the height limit inside the editor is already at its overflow border - so I wouldn't bother adjusting those values. It did however, allow me to lower the terrain exponentially instead without glitching out. So if i wanted to make a mountain range taller, I'd just have to lower the surroundings. It does however bring issues with water levels as you can't lower it's surface layer. Perhaps I'd have to make custom water.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Right. So basically, from what I can understand, there is no 'unlimited' option that can reach for the skies - instead it just keeps on overflowing.
Yes. Terrain height is represented with a finite number of its where each numeric unit represents a constant height. As such there is a maximum and minimum terrain height.

What the trick does is give you unlimited access to all the limited height levels. Otherwise World Editor uses some logic to limit your ability to change height.
It does however bring issues with water levels as you can't lower it's surface layer.
Yes, World Editor lacks brushes for water. The water mesh has as many height levels as the ground mesh does but World Editor does not give you good access to these levels.