• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Quick question about periodic events and the "quickness" of GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello!
In my map I got a lot of periodic events running simultaneously. How many can I have before I seriously have to worry about them bogging down (slowing down) a full house 10 player map?

Also, I read JASS is faster blablabla but how much faster is it? Does that mean that a GUI triggered spell will have a 0.1 second delay in comparison to a JASS spell? I got a 10 player map where all spells and stuff are triggered in GUI and I am worried that this means that it will be running very slowly, since everyone says JASS is faster. But how much slower? Will 10 players casting a GUI triggered spell delay everything with a second or more? Or how noticeable is it?

Level 15
It depends on the content of your code. JASS is indeed faster, but unless you're creating a huge amount of leaks in your GUI I don't see it creating many problems.

You might want to cut down on your periodic timing though. (This is where timers come in handy lol)

Level 5
Thanks for your reply! Will timers consume less memory?

This is the trigger I am worried the most about:

• Cam
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.01 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Player Group - Pick every player in P_CAMERAPLAYERS and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • P_CAMERA_CURRENT[(Player number of (Picked player))] Equal to 1
            • Then - Actions
              • Camera - Apply HERO CAM 1 normal view <gen> for (Picked player) over 0.00 seconds
              • Camera - Set (Picked player)'s camera Rotation to (Facing of P_HERO[(Player number of (Picked player))]) over 0.00 seconds
              • Camera - Lock camera target for (Picked player) to P_HERO[(Player number of (Picked player))], offset by (0.00, 0.00) using The unit's rotation
            • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • P_CAMERA_CURRENT[(Player number of (Picked player))] Equal to 2
            • Then - Actions
              • Camera - Apply HERO CAM 2 top <gen> for (Picked player) over 0.00 seconds
              • Camera - Set (Picked player)'s camera Rotation to (Facing of P_HERO[(Player number of (Picked player))]) over 0.00 seconds
              • Camera - Lock camera target for (Picked player) to P_HERO[(Player number of (Picked player))], offset by (0.00, 0.00) using The unit's rotation
            • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • P_CAMERA_CURRENT[(Player number of (Picked player))] Equal to 3
            • Then - Actions
              • Camera - Apply HERO CAM 3 <gen> for (Picked player) over 0.00 seconds
            • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • P_CAMERA_CURRENT[(Player number of (Picked player))] Equal to 4
            • Then - Actions
              • Camera - Apply HERO CAM 4 <gen> for (Picked player) over 0.00 seconds
            • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • P_CAMERA_CURRENT[(Player number of (Picked player))] Equal to 5
            • Then - Actions
              • Camera - Apply HERO CAM 5 low <gen> for (Picked player) over 0.00 seconds
            • Else - Actions
I am worried that this trigger in combination with many 1 sec+ periodic events for damage over time and healing over time spells will bog down the map. If I launched a lot of timers running infinitely in the initialization trigger, would that be better?

Level 8
the fact is the nearly every GUI function is a BJ( i think u heard about ) which calls a Jassfunction afterwards e.g. CosBJ( real angle ) calls Cos( real angle * bj_DEGTORAD)
so if you make nearly everything to a native u will nearly get just the half of your function calls
also leaks can be cleaned much better in Jass ( even better u go with JNGP and veryJass[vJass] )
for sure some BJ's are helpful i like the GroupPickRandomUnit for example

Level 29
Periodic events are less good then timers, don't ask me why because I don't know. I once heard Poot saying that and I believe Poot.

In any case, you should stick as many things you can into one timer/periodic event in order to reduce the running threads (not sure if they're even threads, but you get what I mean).
This of course will look MEEEEEEGA ugly in GUI, but GUI looks already so ugly that it doesn't matter too much.

On a second note - why for all the gods do you run the iteration every 0.01 seconds?
Our eyes barely see beyond 16-18 frames per second, why the hell would you need 100 of them.
Tradition goes between 0.035 and 0.05 usually, so for speed-important things such as physics, you'd probably go with 0.035 or something close to it, and for other things you'd go with 0.05.

Status
Not open for further replies.