• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Quick Question! +2 rep to all helpers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 33
Haha for this one, I would have to say no.
You essentially need unit to apply buff.
The weird thing is, you can remove buff via RemoveAbility function call UnitRemoveAbility(whichUnit, whichBuff) but you can't add ability via that function, totally weird Blizzard =,=

It is possible to not have a dummy unit. As moyack said, you can have a dummy ability with an effect. See this for more information:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/graveyard-418/snippet-lua_new_buff-180920/
Then see my post a little ways down for an example of usage. Yes, it requires one ability and one buff per thing but it is pretty easy with the lua. (use the one in the first post, not mine)

Just note that the buff will be permanent until removed, will only show an icon (it won't actually have an effect, you have to trigger that), and it doesn't blink when it is about to fade (again, because it is permanent until removed via triggers).

Status
Not open for further replies.