• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Questions on Reforged for a old newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
1. What are the constraints and best practice for FourCC allocation? (except for H*** for heroes)

2. Is it possible to place same ability on different UI button positions depending on unit type? (non-hero)

3. Does Leak matters in Reforged, given sufficient memory? (In other words, will incur trigger performance issues or leads to assertion failure crash?)

4. Is there some way to accelerate the modify-to-test time for Reforged map scripting?

Level 20
  1. Are you talking about naming best practices of object ids in the object editor? If so, it doesn't really matter. Capital first letter decides about whether the unit is a hero or not, but apart from that, do as you please. I personally like the Blizzard naming convention, i.e. reserving the first letter for the race (or any category that matters for you) and the following three letters to identify the object.
  2. Copy-paste the ability and set different X/Y-positions for the copy.
    If that is not what you want, you can theoretically change the icon position of your ability via trigger for one unit only (but you would need to do that again for every unit that you want to be affected, so it's probably more effort than just making a copy of your ability in the first place).
    The GUI-action can be found at "Ability - Set Ability Integer Field" (and select "button position" as the integer field).
  3. On modern pc's, Wc3 leaks should hardly affect performance in a single game. As far as I can recall though, Wc3 doesn't free up the memory after you have finished playing a map, so leaks carry over to the next map until you restart the game.
    Anyhow, you as a programmer should still care for removing object leaks. It doesn't require much effort after all.
  4. Having the game on your SSD instead of HDD drastically decreases Reforged startup time. Testing on SD graphics might also save some seconds. Apart from that, if you code in Lua (which I assume after seeing you talking about FourCC), I highly recommend coding in a proper development environment like VSCode plus sumneko-extension. This prevents a lot of bugs, which obviously decreases test-time much more than optimizing Reforged startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.