• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Questions about Reforged- is Map editor better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, or if there is already a FAQ i missed?

With Reforged releasing soon, I am wondering how much the World Editor will be improved? is there a good review I can read somewhere? My current beta version of the editor doesnt seem any better than previous versions, and I remember many years ago using a custom/modded version of the editor made by fans? hoping somebody can remind me its name?

Does the Hive recommend the Reforged editor? I dont care much about the new graphics, and I think I might prefer using an older version if its more stable. I mean it should theoretically still work with Reforged even if I make a map using an older editor, right? I'm no expert map maker, and my map is rather basic stuff :)

So, TLDR: whats the best version of the editor to use (besides Reforged) and is compatibility with different versions a concern?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Level 9
There will be no "Reforged Editor", it's the one and only Editor for both Classic and Reforged. And what new features will there be upon the release of Reforged, is unknown. They've talked about a lot of features, but considering the amount of content cut from Reforged in general, I wouldn't hold my breath they actually can implement even half of those. It's already quite disappointing how little there is anything new in the Beta Editor, even though originally back in 2018 they claimed that we would get our hands on the "totally revamped Reforged Editor" long before the release. I have very little hopes there's actually anything special in the Editor even after release.

Last edited:
Level 6
it's the one and only Editor for both Classic and Reforged
I dont think thats entirely exactly accurate

Once reforged releases, we will have a new version of the editor (v1.33 or whatever) but if I have an older copy of WC3 installed on my computer (say using patch 1.26) then I will still be able to open up the older version of the editor (which would not be part of reforged)

I did not claim there would be 2 different editors, just that there will ALWAYS be older versions still available

thats what my OP was asking about... I wanted to know if Im better off using an older patch such as 1.31 or using the custom-fanmade version of the editor

Also, I have no interest in hearing assumptions. If you are just making guesses, then you are not helping me. I already know that we dont have much information currently, but I want actual facts, and obviously the game doesnt release until later or tomorrow or whatever, so I can be patient and wait for a response when the time is right

Level 9
I did not claim there would be 2 different editors, just that there will ALWAYS be older versions still available

Well, you answered your own question then. There will obviously always be the older versions, if you don't update the game and you will be just as better off with them after Reforged as you would be now. Though, most people will keep the game updated (especially with modern Battle.Net coming now), so I bet over 95% the player base will be playing with the newest version.

And, well, there is nothing but assumptions, really. We don't know anything. That the is the fact. And what is the best version is really just a matter of an opinion; if you want all the newest features and functionalities, you have to update. If you want to stay with an older version, then you're better of with an older version.

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
I dont think thats entirely exactly accurate

Once reforged releases, we will have a new version of the editor (v1.33 or whatever) but if I have an older copy of WC3 installed on my computer (say using patch 1.26) then I will still be able to open up the older version of the editor (which would not be part of reforged)

Yes, you did. Use your memory. Right here below.
Does the Hive recommend the Reforged editor? I dont care much about the new graphics, and I think I might prefer using an older version if its more stable. I mean it should theoretically still work with Reforged even if I make a map using an older editor, right?
I don't know how many times it has been said but you probably live in a case and didn't bother making any research. Reforged has new graphics, and also contains classic version with the classic graphics, they're bounded and it's supposed to have 100% compatibility, even if you don't have Reforged, it will still be compatibile. There is neither "Reforged Editor" nor "Classic Editor". Currently, Reforged uses 1.32 version, the original Wc3 uses the 1.31 version. Obviously if you open a map saved with version 1.26 on WE version 1.32 it works, that's the most basic logic everyone can deduct.
So, TLDR: whats the best version of the editor to use (besides Reforged) and is compatibility with different versions a concern?
And again, you ask like as if there's 2 different editors, despite having contradicted yourself earlier. Really man, what the hell do you think? Stick it up with version 1.24, because updating is apparently a downgrade. What's better? Considering being 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th 5th in a race. Maybe being the 3rd, it's too hard of a question.

The Wc3 version isn't just about the editor features...it also includes bugs fixes, crashes fixes, balances, being actually able to play on bnet (playing on some garbage server like garena doesn't count) etc. The only people that don't update to last patch are either the ones who own pirated version of Wc3 (stuck at 1.26), or who are mistakenly scared to lose their work to the newest patch. And that foolishness doesn't accomplish nothing since they'll be forced to update at any time, whether that will create more issues or not.

Level 6
And again, you ask like as if there's 2 different editors, despite having contradicted yourself earlier. Really man, what the hell do you think? Stick it up with version 1.24, because updating is apparently a downgrade. What's better? Considering being 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th 5th in a race. Maybe being the 3rd, it's too hard of a question.

damn bro, maybe see a doctor for that stroke!

Level 8
originally back in 2018 they claimed that we would get our hands on the "totally revamped Reforged Editor" long before the release. I have very little hopes there's actually anything special in the Editor even after release.

Blizzard has become a soulless corporation with no passion and drive. I fear that Reforged will turn out to be a cashgrab. :/

Level 9
Blizzard has become a soulless corporation with no passion and drive.

Well.. I think they are just running out of money. With Diablo Immortal and the whole Hong Kong fiasco, I bet they transferred all the resources they had to Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 and all other projects were left second priority. It's a damn shame Reforged was caught in the middle of all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.