• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! My question is very simple about the triggers mechanics.
I wanna know weather or not i can use a trigger as a fuction
example:

trigger #1
unit cast a spell = save it
spell name = save it
target unit = save it
target location = saved with real number represents X and Y
call to trigger 71

trigger #2...to...70 etc
unit cast a spell = save it
spell name = save it
target unit = save it
target location = saved with real number represents X and Y
call to trigger 71

trigger #71
damage target unit and make floating test above the caster.

The question is like this: If i do this, will 2 units using the same spell with the same time ruin the outcome of this "fuction" like:
unit 1 is Shaman and unit 2 is Prist that are casting the same spell same time , will it work like this: trigger 1=> trigger 71 . and then trigger 2=> trigger 71
or will it mess the order since it was very near the moment
triggers 1=>2=> 71 =>1=>2
(ops!!! i forgot to change the title and now its impossible to change it into relevant name of title 0.0 SRY)

Last edited:
Level 15
^- agreed with above, but I assume you have your reasons for wanting similar functionality in GUI (pun intended).

What you posted above will work just fine. And two units casting at near the same moment won't cause any problems as long as you don't use any waits.

(pun intended).
What you posted above will work just fine. And two units casting at near the same moment won't cause any problems as long as you don't use any waits.
So it will call an inside trigger and only after move to check the second event.
very usefull information +rep. thanks. NOTE: I have no idea how to use jazz.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Don't directly go JASS (if you don't want you head to explode in a short time, lol)
That is nonsense. GUI is totally usless compared to JASS and learning GUI is like learning WC3 triggering wrongly. I prety much skipped to JASS without even knowing a programming language before hand. As he knows about functions he should know of atleast 1 other language so JASS should be easy for him.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Though they compile to the same war3map.j file, JASS and GUI operate completely differently.

GUI is completely event-driven that puts a lot of limits on the user. It doesn't let you create actions from conditions (fully possible in JASS), doesn't allow you to define functions, globals nor locals (unless in custom JASS script).

GUI, however, allows you to specify visual art files much easier than JASS, by showing you preview art when you have a specific path selected. Even though I am a JASS coder, I still have to go back to GUI to check the art paths of my special effects. So the two must work together.

GUI is not better than JASS, and JASS is not better than GUI, because they are two seperate things that can't honestly be compared. You can think of them as two seperate languages. You can learn both or learn one or the other, up to you.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
Status
Not open for further replies.