• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Question regarding projectiles, and a few other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello! I just started experimenting with the editor for the first time in years. It's so exciting to open up the editor again, it confused me when I was a teenager but looking at it now it is incredibly powerful and intuitive.

I have a few questions. I was experimenting with making it so that projectiles fired by archers only deal damage if they actually impact the unit they are targeting so that projectiles would be kite-able. I modified the Night Elf archer with slowed projectiles but hits would often register even if the projectile impacted the ground where the unit was once standing rather than the unit itself. I changed the combat weapon type from 'Missile' to 'Artillery' as I know siege projectiles in the base game are kite-able and that worked almost perfectly. However a new problem occurred where units would explode on death (the game seems to decide death animations based on weapon type.) Is there any way to retain normal death animations while also having projectiles only register if they actually contact the enemy unit?

Side question: In the editor I noticed a number of doodads that won't render (I have the editor set to classic graphics as I prefer them) such as 'Wide Rickety Wooden Bridge.' Are these Reforged Graphics exclusive doodads? Also, some doodads only place in a strict manner such as walls. Do I have to edit the object to remove collision to achieve 360 degree rotation. And is there any way to rotate an object before placing it in the scene?

Level 2
I did some searching through the forum history and found the answer.

"For the solution of your problem use weapon type missile (splash) and set the homing boolean to false. You can then adjust the small and medium damage factor and ranges as you wish."

As long as you just use full damage and have the range set small enough this perfectly replicates a realistic archer projectile system!

Status
Not open for further replies.