• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Question: I want to echo channel 9 in MIDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
On channel nine are drums in MIDI, known as Standard 1.
Now I guess you know to do echo in MIDI.
My question is: How to create more tracks on channel nine without merging them all?
I can't echo the notes if all tracks with the same instrument are merged, volume will be beyond messed up.
I use SynthFont. Thank you.

Level 15
Hey DEAD FiSH.

General MIDI channel 10 is for percussion instruments. I'm not aware of any way in General MIDI to have drums on any other channel.

Are you trying to use reverb on the whole channel? Or are you trying to have different drums with different volume levels on the same channel?

If you want to have different drums with different volumes, you can use different note velocities (recommended for representing quiet and loud notes on the same channel).
Individual notes can have a velocity from 1 to 127, with 1 being super quiet and 127 being loudest.

Another option, if your audio card/synth program supports it, is to using different ports. Each device port has 16 channels, so you can have some drums on port 1, channel 10, and a different set of drums on port 2, channel 10 and so forth.
One of my audio cards worked this way, but each sound card and music program works differently.

Unfortunately, with all drums on a single channel, you cannot adjust things like reverb and pan without affecting the whole channel at once.

Your best bet is to record each drum instrument individually as audio tracks, then mix the audio tracks together with the necessary reverb in a sound mixing program. Or use a different port, as mentioned above.

Level 15
Sorry for a rather late reply.
When I wanna make it feel like a reverb I use the hold pedal and echo.
I'll try with note velocity.
And I asked because these merged. I wanted to know if there is another way to use Standard 1 without it being on channel 9.
Also the main reason I thought of how to do echo in MIDI was to avoid having two or more waveform tracks for merging in Audacity. I keep and use .mid files too, so I want both wave and original mid version to feel the same. I repeat the note on lower volume 2 to 3 times for echo.

And thanks! Will try with note velocity, didn't knew you could set the volume for each note, even though it was obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.