• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Question/Help Request for my maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey guys, I think im in the right sub forum.

I've come back to the game with the release of Reforged and I originally re-created LotR: War of the Ring with permission from AzuranZara the original map maker (my username then was LilNickY). I also created The Fall of Troy but this is going back some 12 years ago and I no longer have an unprotected version of them, only what epicwar still has on its website. Question is that I protected it with Vexorians map protection and now I obviously can't open it. I know blizzard did an update years ago that essentially made a lot of custom maps unplayable without updating to the new version. Can anyone help me to get my games back on Warcraft please? Or atleast point me in the right direction of what I should be doing to unprotect and reupload the update to them?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• War Of The Ring 1.6 BETA.w3x.j.w3x
    454.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Fall Of Troy V 1.7.w3x
    324.2 KB · Views: 17
Level 39
If your map was made pre-1.24b and used 'local handle variables' then it is 100% unusable with anything post-1.24b since that patched a security vulnerability with H2I(), the precursor to GetHandleId(). You should still be able to open an unprotected version of the map in the editor but running it in wc3 will not work. There is no way to un-protect a map, but you can extract data like the .j or .obj files to reimport into a new map.

Last edited:
Level 6
Hello:

>but you can extract data like the .j or .obj files to reimport into a new map.<

Could you please elaborate more on that? i'm interested on this as well, i refunded reforged and re-installed the game from my old cds, but my current version is too old to open the maps i was making on 1.31, and i desperatley need some stuff i made specifically for that map back

Thanks in advance!

PD: what i'm after are icons, btn/disbtn pas/dispas, i've managed to recreate everything else on my current 1.27b editor but i need these icons!

Level 39
Basically, open the (protected) maps with an MPQ editor (MPQ was changed to CASC relatively recently, so 1.27b should still use MPQ) and you should see some files like war3map.j, war3mapmap.blp, etc.. These are all the component files that make up the map itself. While protecting deletes important data that prevents the editor from reading these files (and thus loading the map), the map is already compiled and as such it can be run in-game. You can extract these various files with your MPQ/CASC viewer, and that should include any imported assets like skins, icons, models, etc. (they should show in the list of files or under a subfolder).

If the icons you’re looking for are stock icons added post 1.27b, someone should be able to extract them from their game installation CASC and upload here.

Status
Not open for further replies.