• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Python vs Delphi vs Ruby vs Perl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Alright, I have learned some beginner`s python, but I am not really satisfied with it...
Would it be good to change to something else? Say which and why.
Or you think that I have to work more to unlock the real abilities of Python?
Please tell me what you think, and your experience with my problem, if you had.

Thanks.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Python is good for creating a script quickly or stuff that is only executed rarely (macros for compiling, etc).

If you want any serious program that is to be regually used, NEVER TOUCH PYTHON. Loading an image via python can take dozens of seconds when in java it would take atmost 1. This is because python is intepreted and everything uses hastable accesses (reducing variable size is an optomization).

I advise learning JAVA, universities like to use the language a lot, it also is a compiled language meaning that although it still can not beat C/C++ in execution time, it is still usable for speed related tasks like editing programs or helper programs. Java is also realtivly platform inspecific, thus you do not have to worry too much about different builds. It also handles automatic garbage recycling like languages such as python so leaks are not too much of an issue.

These are just some of the properties that make java a great language for beginner programmers. It is easy to use while still providing great flexibility.

If you want to make games of any kind or really computationally intensive tasks then you have no choice but to use C/C++. Even if you just use it for that algerthim, you still need to use it for optimum speed.

Level 5
@Barathrum: Thanks, but can you please give reasonings to everything you say? I mean, I can surely trust you in what you say, but why do you think Delphi is better than the others?

@Dr Super Good: I think you just explained something important for me. Without you, I would probably continue Python, while my will is to create many tools, and not execute rarely. Also thanks for explaining me why is JAVA good. And no, I don`t want to start creating games. So I guess I`ll take JAVA ^^
If you could reply with some resources of JAVA learning, it would be awesome.

Level 9
Learn to program with Java/C or some other statically typed language. Then learn a scripting language.

For most tasks, Python is going to be faster to write and look nicer. If you need to do serious calculations, do it in Java/C#/C, stick with a nice scripting language like Ruby/Python otherwise. Time saving is nice.

@Dr Super Good, really? A whole second to load an image with java? What are you trying to load, a 1000000x1000000 image?

Personally, though, I think if you're going to bother with Java, just use C#. Assuming you're on a Windows machine, that is. The naming conventions are much better (.Length for everything, as opposed to java's .length for arrays, .length() for strings, .getLength() for everything else) and Visual Studio is pretty much the best IDE out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.