• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

ProtoDragonRed_SvH

This bundle is marked as lacking. It fails to meet the standard requirements and may only have minor use.
So here it is. Yes it needs a little tinkering like adding decay animations...I will do that soon. But I really needed this to release.

Basic info: The mesh of the rider is made by me (not really good one). And the mesh of the drake is made by Misha. I tinkered all the other stuff like wrapping it with ingame textures, attaching it to the bones and animations of the wow proto drake. So the animations are by Blizzard Entertainment. Credits to these guys ^^

I hope you will like it. It really took some time to make it working. I promise I will finish it as soona s I can, by now you can use it, find a way for it to fit best in your projects and then you can use newer versions.

Lets hope someone will make icon for it.

I will release version without the rider as soon as the model is 110% finished, you got my word.

Anyway give credits: Sellenius/Sellenisko/Sellen, Misha (do that, because his mesh of proto drake is perfect) and of course to the Blizzard Entertainment.

See you soon on the other models.

Updated: As Misha Suggested. Better eyes and fiery mouth.

Keywords:
Drake, Vrykul, Proto drake, Dragon, Rider, Fire, Viking, Wik, Howling Fjord, River, Bandit, Warrior, Thane, Assassin, Bad-ass, World of Warcraft, Nort
Contents

ProtoDragonRed_SvH (Model)

Reviews
09:12, 8th Feb 2015 MiniMage: Awesome. Approved. Misha: after consulting with MiniMage, I've decided to nudge you into making the eyes more visible (probably from red dragon texture) and to make the insides of his mouth fiery or heated-up, as the...
JesusHipster
Back to pending since it was Updated. Notify Misha so that he can approve it. Great work btw
HappyCockroach
This is a very impressing model. The in-game texture usage is great. There are some major functional issues that need fix though: It has some serious clipping going on with those wings on the ground as it walks. Try to lift them up a bit. Attachments...

M

09:12, 8th Feb 2015
MiniMage: Awesome. Approved.
Misha:
after consulting with MiniMage, I've decided to nudge you into making the eyes more visible (probably from red dragon texture) and to make the insides of his mouth fiery or heated-up, as the red protodrake has in WoW.. should be enough..

Level 10
Wow it looks amazing!

You should do an Orc version. Recently in the novel War Crimes the Dragonmaw started taming protodrakes for the Iron Horde.

5/5

Level 38
red + blue = purple. Wound that mean that purple lizards in war3 are hybrids from red lizards and extint blue ones?

Wellt hat soundds... interesting. But Maybe its just a breeding of red ones and after many years of trying it resulte in purple specimen, you know, like its done with australian bearded dragon or other lizard that results in many color variants... But i will think of it :D

LEss filesize ? Even this is miracle. But you can delete animations, that would reduce filesize significantly. Like keep just one stand animation and so on...

Before I start picking this apart, I want you to know that I love this model, am giving it a 5/5, and am only complaining my ass off about it because I think this great model deserves to be improved as much as possible.

The first thing I want to point out is that the bones sticking out of the wings do not have suitable quality to match the rest of the model. That isn't entirely your fault, as 90% of bone textures in the game are low-quality, but if you could rewrap the same parts of the salamander texture you used for the bones on the back to the wing bones rather than the parts you currently use, it would definitely be worth the effort.

There's clipping in many of the animations. The self-clipping isn't as noticeable, but it really doesn't look good when its wings go through the ground.

Rexxar's fur cape is too stiff at the top; lower the corners a bit so it doesn't look like somebody stuck a bar through his shoulders.

The teamcolor is hardly noticeable with a model of such scale. Try to find an excuse to add teamcolor somewhere on the dragon, such as adding a ribbon, cloth or something.

The top of the rider's helmet, other than the stripe of teamcolor, is pitch black. That's not a good place to focus the darkest part of your shading, since the most common light source is, of course, from above. You might want to rewrap it a bit before his head consumes all the light in the universe and makes your model unviewable in the editor.

All that being said, I'm giving this a 5/5 because its many qualities are more than enough to make up for its flaws.

Level 38
Sure thing, will work on things you suggested.

Before I start picking this apart, I want you to know that I love this model, am giving it a 5/5, and am only complaining my ass off about it because I think this great model deserves to be improved as much as possible.

The first thing I want to point out is that the bones sticking out of the wings do not have suitable quality to match the rest of the model. That isn't entirely your fault, as 90% of bone textures in the game are low-quality, but if you could rewrap the same parts of the salamander texture you used for the bones on the back to the wing bones rather than the parts you currently use, it would definitely be worth the effort.

There's clipping in many of the animations. The self-clipping isn't as noticeable, but it really doesn't look good when its wings go through the ground.

Rexxar's fur cape is too stiff at the top; lower the corners a bit so it doesn't look like somebody stuck a bar through his shoulders.

The teamcolor is hardly noticeable with a model of such scale. Try to find an excuse to add teamcolor somewhere on the dragon, such as adding a ribbon, cloth or something.

The top of the rider's helmet, other than the stripe of teamcolor, is pitch black. That's not a good place to focus the darkest part of your shading, since the most common light source is, of course, from above. You might want to rewrap it a bit before his head consumes all the light in the universe and makes your model unviewable in the editor.

All that being said, I'm giving this a 5/5 because its many qualities are more than enough to make up for its flaws.

Level 5
I'm somewhat new to this so don't get upset but are you able to make it just fly so I can use it in my map I'm working on?

I mean how do you make it just fly?

Roland

R

Roland

@Sellenisko Nice man! Although it has some glitches, but I love Protodragons! I used to draw them with the same head but humanoid body. Anyway, Keep up the good work and I hope this bub will get approved.

This is a very impressing model. The in-game texture usage is great. There are some major functional issues that need fix though:
  • It has some serious clipping going on with those wings on the ground as it walks. Try to lift them up a bit.
  • Attachments aren't most correct. Overhead should be at the center of the unit, and preferrably above the rider's head. A bit weird to have its main hands the dragon's tiny arms. I'd put them at the rider as well.
  • You need either a set of decay animations and a corpse, or a dissipate animation (Or both, preferrably). Also, the flying version should feature some blood and gore spawned effect upon death, atm it only shrinks to nothing. (see other flying units for reference)
Awaiting Update.